Trump elected president

Confessions also aren’t credible, apparently, as long as they subsequently go back on them*.

(* - Unless they’re black, in which case, even if DNA exonerates them a white rich presdential-elect confessed sexual assaulter can still profess to believe their guilt because, “if they were innocent why did they confess?”)

6 Likes

Right now I can only hope for DREAM to make it past the summer.

3 Likes
9 Likes

I can deal with Rudy. As a New Jersey resident, I would be happy about Christie leaving the state.

2 Likes

The worst of the Bush administration’s damage all happened in his first term. 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq, Gitmo, Abu Ghraib, the PATRIOT Act, the great recession—we’d still have had those things and more even if Kerry had ousted Bush in 2004.

7 Likes

I read the article, and it seemed to indulge in the same smug erasing as so many of the other two camps things. This time we focus on Kim Davis. How awful it was for everyone to dismiss Davis, not taking her beliefs seriously without good reason. What I remember as the crux of the issue when it was debated as here, how she may have been harming other people, doesn’t merit a mention.

Why would it? We’re only talking about conservatives and liberals – of course only represented by liberals with the privilege not to be in danger from the former – so we can ignore the rest of America, and then marvel at the disdain seen for conservatives, now without visible reason. And of course any disdain conservatives have for liberals is reaction to that, never a consequence of their biases, never stuff that would be invented and promoted anyway like the war on Christmas.

When Mindysan33 wonders at not wanting an authoritarian misogynist racist as president being considered “smug”, she’s not missing the point of the article, she is picking up the heart of its approach. People not caring who may be hurt by the conservative agenda, if not delighting in it, are the real reason Trump is president. We do ourselves no favors by imagining their victims were never the issue.

12 Likes

Given past campaign rumblings that Trump would delegate domestic and foreign policy to the VP, along with the fact that Pence said out loud that his role model is Dick Cheney, I think we’ll have a de facto President Pence regardless.

10 Likes

A lot of economists are saying that we’re sitting on a bubble right now already that will inevitably pop, due to the fed’s keeping an artificially low interest rate to prop up the stock market. If Trump’s policies work and we avoid that, I doubt any democrats will be giving him credit. I’m not particularly convinced Trump’s going to be able to create a ton of jobs though, but some aggressive trade policy negotiation might force us to make more goods locally and bolster things in the short term. After all, it’s not really fair or good for the environment if China can work a near-slave labor force to the bone churning out cheaper products without any decent environmental standards to boot. We just can’t compete with that right now. We need to shift that trade balance back a bit.

In the long run, I agree with Musk. We’re going to have basic income because AI is going to do anything most people can do, better. If you don’t keep people fed and happy, they revolt. I think only Bernie could have pushed us in that direction earlier. At least if Trump can manage to drain some of the swamp, we’ll be able to elect leadership that can see the future coming.

Let’s be clear: they’re not voting for more misery for themselves, they’re voting for more misery for the educated and comfortable cosmopolitan elites and for “undeserving” minorities.

1 Like

I didn’t read it, though. But thanks.

1 Like

After yesterday’s news, I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

We’d like to think so, but I think your readership is broader.

4 Likes

Hey, quit it. I wanted to look on the bright side, such as it is.

I have enough of reality already, thanks.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for mine to arrive. I’ll hide under my desk with him.

4 Likes

Sorry. On the bright side I’ve muted this and most other political threads so I won’t be chiming in with my sunny outlook on things very often.

6 Likes

That sounds fine.

4 Likes

Over the last few months, I have seen a whole lot of liberals being exactly as smug, short-sighted, and dismissive as any Trump supporter…and then pretending they can’t understand why “those people” don’t like us. I’d like to think this election might change that, but I know it’ll only make it worse.

Like this guy!

Politics is so much easier when everyone on the other side is clearly a subhuman monster that can’t be reasoned with, only overwhelmed and pushed aside by brute electoral force. That’s the sentiment that Trump rode to victory, and we’ve played the boogeyman role perfectly by mirroring it right back at him.

10 Likes

I’d be more worried that nobody is going to nominate another woman. Clinton was a better choice than Trump, obviously, but on its own “related to a former president” isn’t a much better qualification that “rich loudmouth.”

1 Like

As with British youth, they understand that it is their future that’s being flushed down the toilet by the older generations who won’t have to live with the consequences. Speaking of that…

A narcissistic climate change denialist who invokes the “good old days” of the 1950s and who’s always been about finding ways to make the swamp work for him is not going to do anything to help bring about that kind of leadership (except perhaps by inspiring violent revolution). We’ll get that kind of leadership only when the Boomers finally lose their demographic clout and stranglehold over American politics.

17 Likes

No, obviously, it was the women who were lying… like we do. /s

4 Likes

I’m blaming this one on all the smug fuckers who saw the polls saying that Hillary would definitely win, and decided to stay home and post memes about Trump supporters instead of actually fucking voting. Great job, HuffPo and friends!

4 Likes