Trump elected president

Let’s be clear: they’re not voting for more misery for themselves, they’re voting for more misery for the educated and comfortable cosmopolitan elites and for “undeserving” minorities.

1 Like

I didn’t read it, though. But thanks.

1 Like

After yesterday’s news, I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

We’d like to think so, but I think your readership is broader.

4 Likes

Hey, quit it. I wanted to look on the bright side, such as it is.

I have enough of reality already, thanks.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for mine to arrive. I’ll hide under my desk with him.

4 Likes

Sorry. On the bright side I’ve muted this and most other political threads so I won’t be chiming in with my sunny outlook on things very often.

6 Likes

That sounds fine.

4 Likes

Over the last few months, I have seen a whole lot of liberals being exactly as smug, short-sighted, and dismissive as any Trump supporter…and then pretending they can’t understand why “those people” don’t like us. I’d like to think this election might change that, but I know it’ll only make it worse.

Like this guy!

Politics is so much easier when everyone on the other side is clearly a subhuman monster that can’t be reasoned with, only overwhelmed and pushed aside by brute electoral force. That’s the sentiment that Trump rode to victory, and we’ve played the boogeyman role perfectly by mirroring it right back at him.

10 Likes

I’d be more worried that nobody is going to nominate another woman. Clinton was a better choice than Trump, obviously, but on its own “related to a former president” isn’t a much better qualification that “rich loudmouth.”

1 Like

As with British youth, they understand that it is their future that’s being flushed down the toilet by the older generations who won’t have to live with the consequences. Speaking of that…

A narcissistic climate change denialist who invokes the “good old days” of the 1950s and who’s always been about finding ways to make the swamp work for him is not going to do anything to help bring about that kind of leadership (except perhaps by inspiring violent revolution). We’ll get that kind of leadership only when the Boomers finally lose their demographic clout and stranglehold over American politics.

17 Likes

No, obviously, it was the women who were lying… like we do. /s

4 Likes

I’m blaming this one on all the smug fuckers who saw the polls saying that Hillary would definitely win, and decided to stay home and post memes about Trump supporters instead of actually fucking voting. Great job, HuffPo and friends!

4 Likes

Is that really a thing?

2 Likes

I’m sure they are doing all that with the smuggest of looks on their faces, too.

3 Likes

Lousy day, but here…take a moment to feel good about something.

1 Like

#smuglife

3 Likes

I wish I was in a place where I could find that funny.

3 Likes

I blame myself for being a statist, and presuming that I should entrust the lives of myself and others to abstract countries governed by strangers. Having a country makes me part of the problem.

And the whole world burns down around us, but hey, someone got free candy.

[ETA] and of course, it was a white dude.

6 Likes

Yeah but maybe they also voted against free trade, globalization, and unfettered immigration. I think some bought the whole package but on these specific issues I agree with them. These are not in their interests. And if we are going to have these policies then we need to find a way to help these guys deal with the costs of these policies when we get the benefits.

I’m an immigrant. I’m not anti immigration. However is obvious that immigration will adversely impact the wages of those competing with directly with immigrants. I’m amazed US technology professionals are ok with the h1b visa scam.

4 Likes