Trump elected president

Here’s an article about Star Trek to cheer you up on a crap day. Keep in mind that the people creating the future have all been inspired by Roddenberry’s vision of not only a technologically advanced future but also of a more equitable and socially just one.

3 Likes

sorry, was trying to be funny.

4 Likes

Just noticed that, in American date notation, today is 11/9. So we have another disaster, but this one the US brought on itself.

13 Likes

Some of them seemed to have left that part out. I don’t think we get to Star Trek via libertarianism, which is where much of the “futurists” seem to have thrown in their lot. I suspect that Roddenberry would be horrified by this election. But thanks for the link.

It’s okay. I’m a bit knee jerk right now. So I’m sorry.

7 Likes

Could everyone please stop arguing about whether or not a we ought to think that an accusation that someone did a thing is evidence that the person did the thing.

Apparently some people believe that a person who has never done a thing is exactly equally likely to be accused of doing that thing as a person who has done that thing is.

The usefulness of arguing with such a person can’t possibly outweigh the pain caused by discussing the particular subject they choose to apply their idiotic theories of probability to.

Like I said above, this election ought to be an object lesson in the fact that the answer to bad speech is not more speech. Please either flag or ignore.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to anyone I yelled at in this thread. I’m just feeling really bleak right now. I kind of wish we could have at least a day to mourn this election (and this stupid year) before we get into the postmortem.

But I’m not helping with that, am I?

15 Likes

Now this is a hornets nest of seething rage.

15 Likes

Yes, there is a safeguard for that. Yesterday, that safeguard failed.

1 Like

“So, you need both a public and a private position.” -Hillary Rodham Clinton

Everyone in politics is telling lies. I’m not surprised that Trump tells some as well. It is up to the voter to try and figure out what the lies are. Clearly we disagree on who is the telling the worst lies this time, and it probably hurt Hillary quite a bit that a lot of her private positions were exposed in the email leaks, which Trump is still getting keep his cards close to his chest. The one thing the US can reach a very clear consensus on this time around is that both candidates were a poor choice. We had to pick one though. I did the best with what information I could get. I voted Bernie in the primary and Trump in the general.

I honestly have nothing against a woman president. If someone like Condoleezza Rice had been an option, I would have voted for her, even though I expect I’d disagree with her on much and she has some bad ties with the Bush administration. She at least strikes me an honest person. It’s hard to find an honest politician.

3 Likes

So, just to be clear: winning the national popular vote by 4 points and the electoral college by triple digits is not a mandate, but losing the popular vote by 2+ points while winning the electoral college by double digits is.

20 Likes

But there is so much red on the map!

8 Likes

Under Section 4 of the Twenty-fifth Amendment, the vice president, in conjunction with a majority of the Cabinet, may transfer the presidential powers and duties from the president to the vice president by transmitting a written declaration to the Speaker of the House and the president pro tempore of the Senate that the president is unable to discharge the presidential powers and duties. If this occurs, then the vice president will assume the presidential powers and duties as acting president; however, the president can declare that no such inability exists and resume the discharge of the presidential powers and duties. If the vice president and Cabinet contest this claim, it is up to Congress, which must meet within two days if not already in session, to decide the merit of the claim.

I don’t think that would hold up immediately after an election, though.

1 Like

If you assume that the Green vote would have gone to Sanders and that the HRC vote would still have gone to Sanders, then in fact he would have done much better; it is the Greens, for example, who gave Wisconsin (and probably Michigan) to Trump. What we don’t know is whether Sanders would have done better in getting minorities and young people actually out to vote. We just don’t know. We also don’t know what lies Trump would have come up with for him, or whether they would stick as well as the lies he came up with for Clinton.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised. It’s clear you don’t care about any of the rest of us. The rest of us are fucked because you picked a narcissistic man who is ignorant about a million things and stirred up a racist/sexist hornets nest in this election. I’m sorry that you don’t care about the rest of us enough to maybe hold your nose and vote for the dishonest person who will not destroy this country for the rest of us.

I’m done with this. Have a good day and please don’t address me again on this issue. I can’t deal with it right now.

16 Likes

Hey, I didn’t say Trump supporters were subhuman monsters, just that they’re ignorant, stupid, racist assholes (to be fair, they could be as few as two of those things). You had one side trying to reason with voters and the other side being Trump. The fact that they voted for Trump proves they can’t be reasoned with. This whole “Oh, the liberals were arrogant and that just forced voters into the arms of someone who was clearly an irrational, racist child with behavior problems!” is such bullshit. Even if that were true, that means that voters responded to some other voters by saying, “In response to your arrogance, I’m going to go vote for a monster.” (Because while I wouldn’t characterize all of Trump supporters as monsters, Trump certainly is.) How irrational is that? That notion’s even more dismissive of Trump voters in some ways. So, in sum: yeah, fuck 'em.

10 Likes

Paul Ryan is an opportunistic asshole who will spend the next 4 years doing what Trump wants him to do. We’re beyond fucked.

14 Likes

I was on a bank conference call this morning where they were still whistling past the graveyard talking about a “divided government” moderating his worst impulses. Needless to say I have a follow-up question on that contention.

1 Like

Seriously? I can’t even…

2 Likes

The “median” income of his suppoters doesn’t fucking matter, all that matters is the 5% of his supporters the Democrats could have reasonably peeled off.

And a lot of those did turn out to be among the rural poor, since Hillary did much much worse with them than Obama did.

4 Likes