Trump elected president

I already pointed out that this is stupid because Trump has a significantly lower median income in his followers than any other GOP candidate. Nate Silver’s article literally proves the point that Trump took the working class from the Democrats.

1 Like

And it’s nice to see the Dem supermajority didn’t repeal it.

2 Likes

Obama still has a few more weeks to totally take all the guns.

9 Likes

Do I really need to point out the glaringly obvious difference here?

That all those fears were mainly based upon the far right’s own biases & hatred?

That while he may have been reviled by anyone who has a problem with anybody who doesn’t look/think/act just like them, he was still qualified and capable of actually doing the job?

Do I need to spell it out that Obama did not run on a platform of empty promises and nativism, and never once stooped down to the level of his haters, no matter how ugly it got?

Seriously?

I’m not sure who Im more frustrated with right now; my fellow countrymen or anyone who is trying to minimize how fucked up this is.

I’m usually all for looking for the silver lining, but right about now I’m fresh out; having just had the _re-_realization that so many of us don’t care about anything beyond the ends of their noses… and they simply won’t care… until someone very close to them has been irreparably damaged.

24 Likes

He does like to randomly kiss them, he just can’t stop himself.

4 Likes

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-misogyny-apocalypse-turns-out-being-white-and-male-counts-for-more-than-intelligence-grace-or-decency/

7 Likes

Well that’s grand. You’re preparing for when the Obergefell decision is reversed, I guess? Because I don’t think there’s another vote scheduled on that case since it was already decided.

And hey, as a citizen of Alabama, maybe ask some of your fellow African American citizens how well it worked with leaving social issues up to the states. Worked great. Like a charm. Can’t wait for all those bakers to be freed from the Orwellian task of baking cakes for people without regard to their sexual orientation. And the Jews? Coming IN the store? Oh my oh my oh my, can’t have that.

This time? You mean, this election? This day? This hour? This minute? When? But if they’re saying racist things, or trying to boot people out of the country for the color of their skin, sweet fucking hell don’t call them racists, okay? That’s apparently upsetting for Americans.

19 Likes

That sort of explanation would be worth an article. Instead, you gave one that went on and on about how mean liberals are. How smug is it that there are liberals who won’t even act friendly toward people who have different politics? Well, how smug is it to insist everyone must be friends with people who won’t accept them or their other friends as fully human?

No, wait, that must be off-topic. We’re only trying to understand why the “Left” have failed society, and that means conservatives and the liberals who make fun of them. Bringing up LGBTQ or Muslims or Hispanics must be just trying to deflect the issue and make excuses, because it’s not like they are an important part of society too. I’m not having it. I’m not interesting in beatifying the Democratic party and their movement, but I don’t think much of attempts to understand the conflicts in America by deliberately ignoring half of them.

America, you know, has a long history of anti-civil rights movements. People fought hard for slavery, for segregation, for the right to discriminate on at least the state level, and so on. Many of those people are still alive. These were popular notions not long ago – and now we find them popular again, and yet somehow now that’s obviously impossible, we have to find some other reason people might fight for them.

No, we don’t need much more than an anecdote or two to say it’s really because of how liberals were acting; we’re the ones who actually change things and everything else is a reaction. So you throw away everything about conservatism except how privileged liberals treat it. What better way to understand why you aren’t always winning than to imagine this is a one-player game?

Well, I don’t know what you find compelling, but it seems a lot of people find it comforting to imagine this, instead of for instance considering the possibility that Trump’s bigotry has become genuinely popular. But I for one don’t think it’s right. Yes, there is a lot to reflect on who the Democratic party should really be standing behind, but I don’t believe for the moment this is really about whether believers in civil rights count as smug. That attitude looks far too much like the tone policing that always gets trotted out against them.

16 Likes

Do you think that the question of interracial marriage should go back to the states as well? Why or why not?

22 Likes

What would Raygun say?

2 Likes

Exactly this. LGBT issues – like racial issues aren’t “social” issues like @Lem wants to claim. They are issues of basic fucking human rights and decency.

27 Likes

I really hate the whole “Liberals are just smug” bullshit meme. Rush Limbaugh and most all of the right wing media are smug bastards but I guess that shit don’t stink right? I’m not trying to pull a “Everybody is bad” but the idea that finger pointing for something as silly as smugness is just really fucking bullshit.

Note: I know I’m agreeing with you I’m just adding my anger over the smug meme.

15 Likes

…Well.

7 Likes

Getting some much needed sleep between worknights (an unusual week) - in San Francisco. I was awakened by this protest march.

No time to process or wade upstream in this thread, but will have time to review on Friday.
As I was eating breakfast at a local restaurant, there were a great number of shellshocked faces I could see passing by the window.

Have to get back to sleep. Need to deal with this later.

P.S. Awoken again by a single, gloating madman marching down Market, yelling profanity in support of Trump.

7 Likes

Maybe so, but the exchange goes more like:

‘You don’t have a job, you’re poor and life sucks? But campaigning about [something] instead is more important because I know best. You don’t agree? You [something]-ist! Evil, evil evil, burn you with fire …’ (I exaggerate for effect, but not by much).

Left wing economic policy is egalitarian and benefits the average person more than corporatist elitism. Progressive liberal elitism is a phenomenon of urban educated middle class WEIRD people. If you want to support that agenda you have to make more WEIRD people first. And that means raising living and education standards for everyone, rather than hectoring those who have neither.

3 Likes

We can safely assume that the first 40 responses to failure will be to blame the liberal elites who are ‘OPPOSING DEMOCRACY’. And the cure to such things will be to do it more.

Just as curring taxes does not typically result in a better economy, but the answer is always - regardless of facts - that they were not cut enough.

2 Likes

It also doesn’t help that the GOP is completely synchronized compared to the Democrats. The Democrats are spread thin appeal to a much wider net of voters while the GOP has a core of white religious voters that won’t be going away for a few decades.

Just think about the bases of support for the Democrats: unions, any ethnicity that’s not white, women, the young, the very old, the financial industry, etc. How much does this overlap?

Then compare it to the GOP: white religious families, government contractors, old money. How much does this overlap?

I can’t even include the military service members into the GOP because they have gutted their benefits despite their blind support. Now Trump comes in and wins the white working families and white women overlapping with the rest of the GOP pie and smug outsiders get to sit back and claim it’s because they were not pandered to enough. I’m not a democrat, and this response is just people giving themselves the warm fuzzies to unbuckle and let that white fear out a bit more.

1 Like

He wouldn’t say jack shit because he’s fucken dead.

8 Likes

Listening to William Basinski’s Disintegration Loops has been oddly calming today.

4 Likes

I find myself listening to Chumbawamba … something about late 90s British anarchists to with catchy harmonies just seems helpful to me right now.

6 Likes