Trump elected president

Not “AIDS,” that’s for sure.

10 Likes

Jobs, jobs, and more jobs. “Hillary wants to close your coal mine! I’m going to help you keep your jobs! Detroit is making cars in Mexico and closing American factories due to NAFTA. I’m going to bring those jobs back to our country and make America great again!”

That was the pep talk that hooked the working class. It’s all my (retired autoworker) father-in-law talked about. “Trump is going to bring jobs back!” My father-in-law wasn’t concerned about national security or religious matters, he just wants jobs back in the US.

10 Likes

It ain’t over until the electors vote? Could electors be recruited to vote against their state’s mandate, based on Clinton’s win in the popular vote? Or just bribed?

Trying desperately to think out of the box.

3 Likes

Anybody else in S.F. want to get a drink later? I think I need a drink later.

9 Likes

I’m not sure that undermining democracy is the right call here.

I fantasize that we’ll find out that Clinton won by 10% and all the voting machines were actually hacked but. . . the people chose. Everybody’s gotta live with it

5 Likes

As good of an idea as this sounds to me right now, this is all I hear:

(While I realize this is a Bee Gees cover, it perfectly encapsulates the bleakness I’m feeling right now.)

ETA: this, too…

2 Likes

Neolibral centrist "new democrats’ have sunk the party, they let a moldy pumpkin pie fully and finally take the mantle of populist and working class from them by pretending middle American jobs didn’t matter.

5 Likes

Are they, though? After this election, and the inevitable fallout that’s likely to follow?

Time will tell, I guess.

Maybe.

2 Likes

How about this?

4 Likes

About the only hope I have right now is for some of the repubs in Congress to flip sides.

4 Likes

I don’t actually think that’s true. It’s not like Clinton didn’t have a jobs plan - she just wasn’t willing to make the kind of divorced-from-reality promises that Trump was.

There’s a limit to the ability to bring the “the good old days” via trade isolationism

6 Likes

Agree, but the whole electoral college system, in which the person who got less votes will be named president, already undermines democracy. In a vacuum, I could get behind subverting it, but the violent backlash that would ensue would not be worth actually doing it.

8 Likes

Good point.

1 Like

I’m in the Bay Area, if you’re willing to meet outside of the city.

I can barely cope with being at work right now, let alone trying to deal with Bart.

7 Likes

If only there had been a Michelle Obama write in campaign this time around.

1 Like

Over here in the UK, our current leader got a resounding mandate from 23% of the available vote.

6 Likes

If you want to campaign against the Electoral College - that would be a productive use of energy. Direct election of the president + ranked choice voting would go a long way towards fixing some of the current electoral problems. People could cast votes for the candidates they really want without being accused of helping the worst candidates get elected. Votes in deeply blue or deeply red states would still matter.

13 Likes

Yoikes!

1 Like

She didn’t even get that.

Her forerunner did.

Her mandate is from 47.8% of the available vote from the good people of Maidenhead.

2 Likes

Let me try to summarize for you

• Disbelief

• Dismay

• Horror

• Anger

• Dread

• Hopelessness

and lastly, but probably most dangerous

• Resentment of anyone who isn’t going to suffer as much behind this as I am.
21 Likes