Trump elected president

And it was widely predicted this would be the case, certainly by anyone who had observed the 20 years of Berlusconi action. Identical playbook, he just replaced “communist” with “crooked”.

3 Likes

No, no, no… we have to be told how smug we are, right now. Or else Trump has w…

Oh wait.

/s

Wow. I made a joke. I must be feeling a little better.

Yes. You are. I feel @ebonstorm’s anger and concern very strongly. Maybe you’re worse case scenario is just different from ours?

15 Likes

Don’t worry, Trump will bring those jobs right back on January 21st, right?

8 Likes

Sure. But one could have hoped that since Trump didn’t actually own the media (unlike Berlusconi) there might have been more responsible coverage.

Responsible? US media? Wishful thinking.

BTW, a nice tweet:

"Turnout
2012 Obama: 65.9m
2016 Clinton: 59.1m = -6.8m
2012 Romney: 60.9m
2016 Trump: 59m = -1.9m

You tell me what happened"

9 Likes

What chance Ted Cruz for Supreme Court now?

1 Like

What magic legislation did you want them to pass in that 1 1/2 years?

Over 40 years ago, I was in DC involved in a small way with the National Commission on the Observance of International Women’s Year (1975), set up by President Ford. About 1/3 of the women and men involved in feminist issues back then were Republicans, including those at the highest levels of party politics and public officials. The difference between the two parties used to be about implementation, with the understanding that civic-minded people were all trying to achieve similar ends in good faith even if the path to get there was different. Look how far we’ve fallen in 40 years.

But you’re right, women in the U.S. have gotten the message: we are to be “a footnote in the dustbin of history”. We’re just not allowed to be indignant about it, because that would be…unladylike?

16 Likes

We’ve got the best glass ceiling. The best. It’s yuuuge.

8 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

I like this in theory, but I don’t think it will achieve anything. I wish I wasn’t out of town at the moment, I would be there.

3 Likes

Lots of shit to repeal, that should be easier.

I would take you up on that, ut I have to go by 9 pm.

1 Like

I don’t think it will achieve anything either, but I applaud it nonetheless.

Clinton and Obama can stick their calls for unity up their arses.

5 Likes

The fact is that there is some magical fantasy legislation you think they misstepped on, what is it?

Do you still live under the PATRIOT act? Tax breaks of all sorts? The abortion restriction law mentioned upthread? TSA? I’m sure GWB left plenty of shit around from his years when he had a majority and actually used it.

People didn’t GOTV for Clinton as they did for Obama. Surely part of why that happened, is because they felt it didn’t make that much of a difference after all.

3 Likes

Are you kidding me?

Have you been reading Breitbart this year?
Seriously though, BB wasn’t running - I’m talking about the candidates themselves, the policy positions they took, their rhetoric, etc. One was a racist, deranged, delusional child with rhetoric and policy to match, the other was running according to the usual rules - providing measured arguments, policy, etc. When people started supporting Trump, despite all that, they were explicitly rejecting reason and honest debate and at least passively assenting to that racism. Sure, many of us were sneering at them for that - because it was totally inexcusable and there was nothing else to do once they had rejected reason. But despite that, there were people on the not-Trump side attempting reasoned debate - and being ignored. It’s not remotely fair to even countenance a comparison between the two sides here.

6 Likes

So the Iraq War, recession, and gay rights wasn’t enough? What you listed was not what pushed the ballots in 2010.

Well, at least Saturday Night Live has a shitload of job security for the next four years.

6 Likes