Trump endorses letting states decide on pot. Will he move to decriminalize marijuana?

My stocks went down on the news, might have to surge sooner than I had planned.

If you kiss his ass and stoke his ego sufficiently, you can get Trump to agree to almost anything. And he will probably even hold on to that agreement until someone else with a different agenda comes along to fluff his ego and osculate his posterior.

Call it, government by brown nosing. A shitty way to run a major nation, but it’s what the US is reduced to these days.

5 Likes

Yeah, I wish. Sadly, not exactly. Sure, policies will be reversed - he’s got all sorts of policies that even the establishment right aren’t happy about. Any non-reactionary president is going to reverse a whole lot more. A non-reactionary congress will undo some acts via legislation. The problem is with the damage he’s already done in office - to international reputation (we’re now the country that elects people like Trump and always will be; we’ll never be trusted again), to relationships with other governments, with world standing, to the economy (and the lost opportunities to be part of the Paris accord, advance clean energy initiatives and be at the forefront of those technologies, etc.), the human costs in the US (all the people who are part of the DACA program, who are losing healthcare, etc.) and all the federal judges he appointed (and there’s a reason why he was appointing people straight out of law school, who had never been lawyers, much less judges), etc. Even if he manages to not cause a major recession/depression and doesn’t get us into any new wars, this country will have some ugly, permanent scars that will impact how the country operates for decades to come.

He will move to decriminalize for white people.

There are some things that Trump doesn’t have the force to carry out.

Changing how the military deals with LGBT community is one of them, and that speaks to a very specific segment of the US populace. One that is not very large, but it is very news making and vocal.

Cannabis is another one of these issues that the president has no solo power. But Trump can bring it up on Twitter to cause a ruckus in the news and watercool scene.

Those issues are the ones that he turns to in order to gather attention from his truly despicable acts.

The G.O.P. has done the maths to money-ball our ability to pay attention from our perpetual digital ego machines.

And we are fucking ourselves even right here, right now.

1 Like

Don’t forget the flip side — that he will deliberately fuck with an individual via national policy, if he doesn’t feel they are on his side. Kakistocracy in action!

1 Like

He could fire Sessions, and the DEA reports to him.

This is a good thing. Our international reputation has always been the product of a brilliant propaganda op, and Obama was exactly the kind of president who was great at it. (So is Trudeau, in Canada) He, and every Democratic president in recent history except Carter and, to an extent, Kennedy, have followed an imperialist foreign policy that differed from that of the Republicans largely in that the Dems have been better at it, and much better at mitigating the damage to our international reputation that should rightly come from it.

2 Likes

Yeah, in many ways it’s richly deserved and well overdue. But there’s a fundamental change in how the US is going to be seen going forward that I don’t think the country is prepared for. Previously we were The Asshole - terrible actions painted over by gifts and occasional charm. Now we’re the guy mumbling to himself covered in his own filth, best bypassed altogether. The occasional bout of charm won’t hide how fundamentally dysfunctional we’ve been revealed to be.

I want that embroidered and framed to hang in my hallway.

1 Like

Kids these days won’t know what a VCR is, or why it would flash 12:00

The kids the days can get off my lawn already, and it would nicely complement the “Ohm sweet Ohm” embroidery already hanging in the hallway.

1 Like

Well… good? I wonder if this pissed off Sessions a lot? Or money talks, and there is A LOT of money in weed.

I mean, I still don’t trust the guy, but if the feds actually let the states legislate this, then cool.

He’s heard that chicks dig scars.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.