Trump Energy Secretary Rick Perry subpoenaed by Democratic House leaders for 'key documents' in impeachment inquiry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/10/trump-energy-secretary-rick-pe.html

7 Likes

Bet he’s wishing he resigned earlier…

16 Likes

america-rick-perry-justreplaced-a-nuclear-physicistas-energysecretary-let-that-9721484

24 Likes

16 Likes

Me thinks Rudy might have a target on his back.

Or forehead.

7 Likes

Here’s the thing: he won’t pony up next week. And when he doesn’t, Congress won’t have the guts to send LEOs to his home/office to arrest him for contempt of Congress, which is exactly what would be happening in a normal democracy. And then the world will keep turning and our country will still be burning.

11 Likes

In this case, he might. I’m probably one of the few who thinks Perry might have been telling the truth about only pushing for talks with Ukraine regarding fossil fuels - that is kinda his thing. And if that’s the case, then serving up those documents would quickly rule him out as part of the conspiracy of dunces.

4 Likes

Also;

9 Likes

Blowing my mind…

5 Likes

I would have thought Perry was more Gangnam style.

8 Likes

Refusing to cooperate with a lawful subpoena from congress is itself an impeachable offense. Nixon proved that.

I think they might actually do that.

I also think if they do then you can bet there will be some domestic terrorist incidents involving Trumpers who think the time has come to end this 200+ year experiment with democracy.

6 Likes

The dumber they are, the harder they fall.

1 Like

And the White House would file suit challenging their right to do that, or claiming its invalid because they didn’t try the 2 other methods first. And the courts would order him released pending a ruling. And the White House would refile a slight variation of their arguments every time a judge ruled against them, and appeal to higher courts when they couldn’t.

Just like the current cases in court for months that ask the judicial branch to enforce the subpoenas (one of those two more usual approaches). Except Inherent Contempt is inherently more open to challenge on constitutional grounds. Which is part of why we stopped using it.

These people aren’t going to just stop shitting on the rule of law and spinning bullshit just because its a slightly different norm or process being used. That’s just starting a new fight about subpoenas, it doesn’t resolve the existing fight about subpoenas any faster.

Plus these people have already been raging about a coup for 2 years. Dunno that we need to give then some “Nancy Pelosi sent Jack Booted Thugs ™” fuel for that one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.