Trump FCC Chairman Ajit Pai unveils his plan to kill Net Neutrality

Sounds like a hell of a time for America to cancel its home cable services all at once.

When you deign to rule over people, you really are just giving them all the power.

1 Like

The set-top box reforms that Pai nixed would have uncoupled cable services from the physical boxes you’re required to use, and would have required cable companies to offer services via an app, giving consumers the option to use their local cable company thru a Roku or Apple TV. Sadly, that proposal, which had already gone through several rounds of approvals, is now dead.

4 Likes

But what if you gave up cable in 2007?

-I- giving up cable at any time wouldn’t achieve much.

Most people giving up cable could secure net neutrality in a few days…

Or single payer insurance…

Or pretty much anything we focused on.

1 Like

Thank you.

It does rather sound as if some sort of regulation (Glass-Steagall for ISPs?) to separate pipe provision from content provision might be also/alternatively be a step forward. In another universe, seeing as that won’t ever happen in this one.

Well here’s another tidy bit from the crooks at the White House.
"Oklahoma Bar Association is investigating Pruitt over an ethics complaint regarding testimony at his confirmation hearing concerning his use of a private email address while conducting official state business. Earlier in February, Pruitt was raked over the coals by an Oklahoma County district court judge who admonished the state’s top legal counsel over a lengthy delay in releasing data under the Oklahoma Open Records Act. Prior to his confirmation and following the release of thousands of emails, Pruitt became the lightning rod for environmental groups that questioned his close ties to oil and gas industry leaders."
Gee I wondered, and now I know why.

1 Like

I was referring specifically to AM revitalization and the chance of something (anything, please!) happening with regard to the noise floor that degrades AM reception. Between the crappy lightbulbs and the crappy switch-mode power supplies that are being allowed into the country on a regular basis without inspection, the noise floor has risen substantially over the past decade or two and it’s killing off what’s left of AM at an accelerated rate.

Sure, AM is the home of some awful political talk programming, but more importantly AM is often the home to minority and ethnic programming not found elsewhere, freely available to anyone with a cheap receiver and not requiring subscriptions or the cost of internet access. Chairman Pai at least is trying to champion AM Revitalization, and for that, I give him some credit. Pretty much everything else he does though, makes me cringe.

1 Like

AM radio is indeed important and it’d be sad if something as entrenched as it would get left behind. My family has deep roots in the radio industry – my grandfather was one of the first DJs on WLW – so I’m glad Pai is helping to keep AM radio alive.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.