Trump had stupid argument with Vietnam veterans about Apocalypse Now

This is why he lies and contradicts himself so frequently - his understanding of reality is really very different from most of us. It’s whatever he thinks in the moment, whatever he =wants= to be real IS what is real for him, and there is no firm persistence to it. He’s not actually lying per se; I think he actually believes whatever he’s saying when he says it, even if he said quite the opposite before.

And a large percentage of the voting population are fine with this. WTF, America?

9 Likes

US center, sadly. But at least then the compromises will be between the world left-of-center and right wing, instead of between the global right wing and literal Nazis.

5 Likes

Well they’ll just have to go back and re-shoot that scene.

5 Likes

Idiot. No doctor’s note on this.

2 Likes

“I love the smell of Agent Orange in the morning” makes for clunkier dialogue too.

16 Likes

He just got mixed up in his Brando movies. See, deadly oranges!

16 Likes

People got so tired of good liars that they decided to elect a really BAD liar?

8 Likes

I agree, and it being on TV would bypass his well-known aversion to reading.

But ⊥rump knows all! Why would he waste any of his precious golf and/or executive time educating himself?

/s

5 Likes

No point really. It’s well established that he’s incapable of absorbing any new information that doesn’t confirm what he already believes.

10 Likes

Just to clarify.

Napalm is the stuff in the movie, it is jellified petrol.

Agent Orange is what Trump is known as in the Kremlin.

3 Likes

I won’t disagree with your statement, but I hope I made others curious to check it out. I learned several things.

2 Likes

Maybe this kind of dialog is the key to opening some eyes about The Dump. Not a large staged campaign rally, but specific groups (Baptists, farmers, etc.) individually having a discussion with him. And they would see first-hand his lack of knowledge about anything.

4 Likes

It’s incomprehensible to most people that Trump could be this dumb and stubborn…

Why? I could easily make the same mistake. In fact, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen Apocalypse Now; ten minutes ago, I couldn’t have told you what those helicopters were spraying. If you made me guess, I would have said bullets.

I might even be a dick about it. Okay, not a Trump-level dick. But still.

I love the smell of Donald in the morning.

2 Likes

What does hes smell like? Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

jon-rhys-meyers-facepalm

6 Likes

From the accounts of briefings (like this one) it’s not so much reading as learning and thinking that he is averse to.

4 Likes

If that is the case, it’s because they haven’t met this sort of rich person in real life. I know people exactly like this. Every time I see more than 5 seconds of Turmp, it is so screamingly obvious what he is that I can’t understand how anyone could fail to see it, but then I think, actually, it’s possible that a lot of people just haven’t seen it before. They might only have met human beings who have heard the word “no”.

16 Likes

“Independent” does not mean “ideologically between the two parties”.

I see very few swing voters; I see very many people who are disgusted with both parties. Ideologically, most of them appear to be somewhat to the left of the Democrats.

The centre-right are the establishment Dems, and they’re doubling down on party tribalism.

9 Likes

I hate to be ageist but this is why so many people are legitimately concerned about the idea of Hillary/Bernie/Warren/Biden running in 2020. We’ve had two Presidents who were 70 years* or older when they assumed the office and both have exhibited very clear signs of mental decline before the end of their first term.

Yes, lots of people remain sharp as a whip well into their 80s or longer but it’s impossible to know who those exceptions will be beforehand.

*I’m counting Reagan because he was 70 by the end of his first week on the job.

10 Likes