Trump hires armed white power militia as security for Minneapolis rally

6 Likes

You seem to be working from an outdated script.
Please contact your supervisor to obtain the current revision and discuss further deployment.

4 Likes

A private militia should not be providing security for the president. Period. full stop. Especially one that’s associated with white supremacy.

How in the fuck is this controversial? If the Black Panthers provided security for an Obama rally, white people would have a god damn melt down… but with Trump, this is now okay.

We are seriously fucked.

26 Likes

Some of them went to North East Syria and killed some ISIS soldiers. I have seen chuds using this as justification for Trump withdrawing US troops from Syria and Turkey invading.

13 Likes

Aren’t US taxpayers already paying for that? It’s called the FBI and the Secret Service and their job is to ensure the security of the venue.

This is Brownshirt territory.

24 Likes

That’s what I thought, too, but apparently, this is acceptable?

16 Likes

Ah, if only.

Actual picture of their vetting process:

14 Likes

So, more like the ICE?

4 Likes

just imagine if a band with a sketchy reputation were to hire the hell’s angels to provide security at a rock festival . . . oh, wait!

10 Likes

Nothing bad could EVER happen in that case… oh wait…

5 Likes

Checked the URL to see if you were referencing Altamont…yup, you were. It’s a good reminder that this isn’t new human nature we’re seeing, just a freer expression of what has always been there.

4 Likes

Joining the Kurdish forces to protect them and other groups from ISIS. Trump signed the death warrant for the Syrian Kurds.

4 Likes

With the Idiot In Chief continuously labeling everything as “fake news”, I think we really need to be careful not to hand more ammunition to him and his supporters. The headline on this article contains two falsehoods, and I’m disappointed to see it on Boing Boing.

As another commenter already pointed out, Trump did not hire Oath Keepers. The linked article says nothing of the sort, and Oath Keepers’ site clearly says “This will be an independent volunteer security operation, not formally associated with either the Trump campaign or with any law enforcement agency”. This is consistent with many previous “protection” stunts they’ve staged.

Also, Oath Keepers is not a “white power” organization. Know Your Enemy! They’re anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim, but they don’t care what color your skin is as long as you’re a virulent Trump supporter.

We need to keep our criticism factually accurate.

2 Likes

Sorry, any group that sports the Confederate flag as frequently as the Oath Keepers fails any test of not being a white supremacist group.

26 Likes

I suggest not chiding BoingBoing for posting falsehoods by, yourself, posting falsehoods.

22 Likes

From 2009… white nationalists IS white supremacist.

27 Likes

Partial fairness to that guy, I’ve seen some interviews, and it seems like individual groups of oath keepers have a gamut of ideology. They appear to all have the core principle of upholding the constitution. Their website even explicitly says, “Oath Keepers come in all colors, shapes, sizes, ages, and backgrounds with one common bond – the oath to defend the Constitution.” But what that looks like in practice appears to vary between the groups. I am sure a certain percentage of them are white nationalists.

1 Like

They probably would prefer the 13th amendment be abolished.

9 Likes

they are financed through Trump’s friends.

payment doesn’t always come as cash. it can be territory.

6 Likes

I have absolutely no doubt that when interviewed and when asked to write PR copy for their website, they chose not to use the term “white nationalist”.

11 Likes