Trump is bailing out a Chinese owned pork producer to compensate it for retaliatory Chinese tariffs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/13/jina-jina-jina-oink-oink-oi.html

3 Likes

I am ok with this only because more Pork and Pork products makes me happy.

6 Likes

I support balanced trade not stupid trade.

3 Likes

Thanks trump!

8 Likes

$240,000 is hardly “corporate welfare at its worst”.

That is a vanishingly small amount of money compared to what the oil industry gets.

7 Likes

Or the $12 Billion that the farm belt is currently getting.

8 Likes

But I thought trade wars are easy to win! :tired_face:

9 Likes

The fucking irony that Trump keeps calling the tariffs a “tax paid by China.” Both elements of that description are wrong, but now it turns out it literally involves US tax money going to China…

12 Likes

Or the subsidies and tax breaks other big companies get (Amazon, MS, Facebook, etc.)

3 Likes

But Smithfield is a single company, not the entire pork industry.

And aren’t Republicans supposed to be against the federal government picking winners and losers?

9 Likes

I’m still waiting for my bailout.

4 Likes

That’s not irony; he’s just really stupid.

8 Likes

Tariffs are easy?

3 Likes

HAHAHAHA!!!

I’m pretty sure in the USA, we practice a form of capitalism known as “Crony Capitalism” – and it’s been that way for a long, long time! At a crescendo these days.

3 Likes

It’s odd how there always seems to be a resurgence of crony capitalism when the Republicans are in control.

13 Likes

Trade wars are easy to win.

4 Likes

Oh, you think we get the discount? Let me know how that works out, bro.

3 Likes

Presumably the purchased pork will be fed to the US military?

2 Likes

There is a reason the word ‘pork’ in political terms means excessive, misappropriated funds, paid for by our taxes.

5 Likes

Yeah, its called kleptocracy and oligarchy. Any resemblance to capitalism or democracy is purely in passing.

4 Likes