Trump owes 10s of millions to Bank of China, reports Politico

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/24/trump-owes-10s-of-millions-to.html

“The president’s financial dealings with the state-owned bank complicate his attacks on Biden.”

1 Like

Don’t worry. He’ll find a way to stiff them.

20 Likes

And then claim it’s not corrupt, it’s “Smart”.

And the base will love him for it, because it’s screwing over China.

19 Likes

Is there anything this guy isn’t being allowed to get away with? Can we just elect a normal, honest president, please?

5 Likes

Yep. Most American banks learned that lesson more than a decade ago. That’s why he can only get loans from distressed banks like Deutschebank and Wells Fargo or from shady “Cypriot” banks or from the Bank of China that have decided to apply broader definition of “collateral” and “leverage” to this particular debtor. One way or another, the Russian oligarchs and the crony capitalists of the CPC will find a way to collect from him – no doubt at the expense of American citizens.

17 Likes

I guess the disinfectant thing was pretty good covering fire for this story.

11 Likes

“They will accuse you of doing what they are doing themselves.”

“China has been ripping us off for years.”

“Well… shit, they were right again.”

8 Likes

Just reading about how Trump is asking for the British government to bail out his (already failing) Scottish golf course. Normally it’s the kind of issue that only comes up with third-world dictators, but it seems like directly giving money to the head of a foreign government would run afoul of anti-bribery laws.

The conflicts of interest are seemingly ubiquitous with Trump. In theory, this is exactly the kind of shit that isn’t supposed to happen in this country, but it turns out that a lot of the enforcement mechanisms simply… don’t.

13 Likes

I’m with Pinhead-

On Trump- “but lie to us again (…) and we’ll tear your soul apart!”

Tear this bastard’s lies and secrets open 6 ways from sunday, anyone that can. Ill donate $ to whomever makes it happen. Looks like I’m going to donate to Politico now

8 Likes

$211 million to one bank alone?

That’s not “tens of millions” - that’s hundreds of millions! Ifind it odd that the headline is downplaying the amounts here.

14 Likes

Not this time around.

I’m sure this is all some big mistake and he’ll have the papers doctored to prove it in no time. Wait! I meant “delivered”!

3 Likes

My first reaction as well- $200 mil is incredibly different than “tens of millions”

5 Likes

Well, isn’t it that he owes 30% of $211M?

Technically, at least. One suspects the Bank of China has already written this loan down to 70 cents on the dollar.

3 Likes

Also: Jesus F’ing Christ

16 Likes

Well, he won’t be able to pay, so let’s hope it is the literal pound of flesh.

3 Likes

They just forgot the appropriate adjective.
Trump owes TWENTY tens of millions of dollars to Bank of China.
I’m sure Politico regrets the error.

3 Likes

Lock him up.

2 Likes

Typo: “in the middle of his second term” should be “in the middle of his first prison sentence.”

3 Likes

Release the tax reports!

2 Likes

We see what you did there.

“Explorers in the further regions of politics … Republicans to some, Kompromat to others …”

5 Likes