Trump "just refounded Isis" says Fox's Brian Kilmeade to Sarah Sanders

I’d like to agree, but I can’t help but think Fox and Trump will be back to being best buddies in a few days at most.

1 Like

Come on, it’s not like Turkey is going to commit genocide or anything. /s

That’s a lot of carbon. How about a subduction zone?

13 Likes

I’d laugh if I wasn’t crying…

3 Likes

Which is exactly what is going on. He has our government in his back pocket now and is slowly just taking any shit that isn’t nailed down. We have a useful idiot in control here.

13 Likes

The world is not exactly the same place now as it was in 2008 or 2012 or whenever it was Democrats called for a warming of relations with Russia. The world would be a better place if Russia and the U.S. could be on better terms that didn’t involve capitulating to Vladimir Putin’s authoritarian kleptocratic view of the world order. Sadly, we don’t live in that reality. Instead, we live in the one where Russia has repeatedly flouted international law and, you may remember, interfered in internal U.S. politics with the intention of (and almost certainly with the effect of) altering the outcome of the 2016 U.S. presidential election in favor of Donald J. Trump. That we don’t call that kind of fundamental assault on U.S. democracy an act of war is less an assessment of its seriousness and more a reflection of our narrow conception of what “war” is or can be.

17 Likes

Fair enough, they don’t explicitly say that, but they aren’t calling to end them either. the Democrats overwhelming voted to authorize the war of terror (a never-ending war). Then, we had a democratic president for 8 of the past 17 years of war. In my book, saying you want to end wars and then not ending wars represents a loss of credibility.

I agree that “Russia Bad,” but we shouldn’t let that fact alone guide us on the world stage. Let’s not start a idiotic new cold war. We on the left shouldn’t define ourselves solely as in opposition to what Trump wants.

2 Likes

Which the US has been doing for the last half century as well. We need to start following the laws too, then we might have some credibility when we claim we’re waging wars because a foreign power broke international law… That’s clearly not why we keep getting into wars.

Yes, “Russia Bad,” but we don’t necessarily need to bang a war drum because of it.

5 Likes

Kilmeade arguing with Huckasanders is like multi-layer recursive puppeting. She’s the puppet’s puppet’s puppet, arguing with a puppet’s puppet.

8 Likes

I’ve just realised that, if you simply add the idea that Sam is actually Michael; “Cheers” becomes a dark prequel to “The Good Place”. A place in which an urbane facilitator oversees the damnation of a group of hapless humans.

@kobrakai That seems rather cruel! I mean, what have volcanoes done to you?

@Yri I think that the best outcome would be for Trump to resign on the understanding that Pence will pardon him, then Pence reneges on the deal and Trump gets arrested, then Trump turns states evidence and throws all of his “friends” under the bus.

@Melz2
“Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.”

@dave01760 “… Fox and Trump will be back to being best buddies in a few days at most.”

10 Likes

I would be jiggy therewith

Also, points for the Dark City reference

8 Likes

Russia is currently waging a cyberwar and influence campaign to undermine the United States’ political and electoral systems. We can’t opt out of that, we can only choose how to respond to it.

Pursuing peaceful coexistence with our global adversaries is all well and good but taking the “THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER” approach is not the kind of relationship we should be going for.

16 Likes

Leaving Syria suddenly, without warning, and with no backup plan is most definitely an extremely bad idea.

Democrats (or people in general) aren’t asking for a ‘never ending war’. We’re just hoping to prevent wholesale genocide, which the president of Turkey has announced he’s going to proceed with once we’ve left the area.

22 Likes

Except Michael evolved and grew to care about the humans, despite being a demon.

5 Likes

Or has he? I’m waiting for the next twist in the series :wink:

1 Like

Of course they aren’t, but if that’s what their policies are, what’s the difference? Obama expanded the war on terror. Just having a position that you want peace isn’t enough.

I agree that the method of withdrawal might be idiotic and poorly planned… Don’t recall saying otherwise! I would prefer a careful plan that helped the Kurds in their struggle. The president should definately not be buddies with the awful Turkish President. But the challenge is that there will probably never be a good time to leave Syria.

2 Likes

Yes. He’s effectively given up everything he had for them; if Michael & Janet leave Earth now, he gets “retired” and she gets turned into a marble*…

(*Which really makes no sense, given that’s she now the most advanced Janet, ever.)

5 Likes

I agree. I think we should be careful though. Let’s not let a fear of Russia make us do foolish things.

I honestly don’t know how to successfully contain Russian aggression, especially with regard to Crimea. Obviously we should be strengthening our relationship with Europe, not weakening it.

1 Like

There’s times when I think that the Victorian England approach might have been the best one. The unified, peaceful India we have today might not exist at all if not for the British. It feels like a choice between letting some regions fight it out and demonstrate just how horrible humanity can be… or be the authoritarian foreign oppressor with the hope that your own oppression is slightly better overall. Certainly the method of choosing sides between local bastards and sporadically helping them out isn’t working so well.

Either Brian Kilmeade isn’t paid enough or FOX’s Russian handlers erroneously left his name off the memo.

5 Likes

You probably are not a functionary of the Internet Research Agency, but they themselves could not have made a more ostensibly “reasonable” defense of Trump’s actions.

Absurd and pathetic. Those are the only two options right? Either I’m for Trump (and a Russian shill), or I’m for continuing disastrous foreign wars.

How about neither, thanks.

That’s how propaganda works: by shunting us into tribal camps while the fucking oligarchs run the board.

You’re not a shill. You’re just happening to make the exact same arguments that a shill would.

Abandoning our Kurdish allies, those for which we have the strongest commonalities, for the second time (Bush-41 did it previously), is not going to go down well. It has nothing to do with “oligarchs running the board.” 2000 troops in Syria is a very small price to pay. Trumps reason for removing them is known only to himself, but it has nothing to do with what he says he’s doing.

I think you perhaps meant procrustean?

It’s called “tarring with the same brush.”

Again, I didn’t say you “were Russian.” I just said “you’re making their arguments.” You cannot deny that. You can only say that some of their arguments might have validity. (In which case, I’d concede you might have a point-- except, we have to be very careful because Russia only makes an argument that benefits Russia.)

It’s fucking insane if we can’t express some skepticism about a deep Russian conspiracy

Gee, last time someone broke into the Democratic National Committee, it was so deep that it forced a US President to resign for the first time in American history, so… not so insane? not so deep?

I believe Russia is wicked and spreads disinformation, but we don’t need to all become neocons as a result!

OK, we’re making progress. Just, it’s not “only neo-cons” who think Russia is a clear and present danger.

If you want a war to help the Kurds, why doesn’t congress declare one? I can’t name a single US war in the past 50 years that was conducted for the right reasons!

Well, the War Powers Act is a different issue, but here I do agree with you, to some degree.

4 Likes