Senate 98-0 passes resolution opposing Vladimir Putin's proposal to interrogate U.S. officials including McFaul & Browder

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/19/senate-98-0-passes-resolution.html

4 Likes

While I’m sure some of the GOP Senators voted this way out of a sense of self-preservation, it’s nice to know the Senate as a whole can still jump the low bar of a 10th grader’s understanding of how diplomacy works.

19 Likes

look at the ridiculous bare-minimum standards we are willing to accept now

election year, non-binding resolutions for “yeah duh” statements

btw we missed this little “gem” from a few days ago, more dictator envy by Trump:

“Trump was very frustrated; he wasn’t getting commitments from other leaders to spend more. Many of them said, ‘Well, we have to ask our parliaments. We have a process; we can’t just tell you we’re going to spend more, we have a legal process.’ Trump turns around to the Turkish president, Recep Erdogan, and says, ‘Except for Erdogan over here. He does things the right way,’ and then actually fist-bumps the Turkish president.”

9 Likes

It boggles the mind that this was even necessary; I really have to wonder what the final straw will be before opportunistic Repubs realize that the total sum cost of ‘winning’ isn’t remotely worth the price they’re paying and will continue to pay, long after 45 is dead. (Please, god, let that day come soon.)

26 Likes

Given Trump’s rush to enforce sanctions, the last time something like this happened, I am sure he’ll comply completely, and tell his hero that it just can’t be done.

The rules don’t matter when one of the players doesn’t care about the rules.

10 Likes

Now there’s an actual “terrorist fist bump.”

23 Likes

And people say Trump isn’t a unifying figure.

8 Likes

What do you mean Trump said it was an “incredible deal”?! Trump says what he meant to say was he was “incredulous” that Putin would ever think he would accept such a deal!

The Sanders has spoken!

13 Likes

Finally we’ve found a line that a GOP Senator is unwilling to cross. I wonder if they would have voted against it if funding for Planned Parenthood had been attached?

15 Likes

I think Browder had the best response to Trump agreeing to turn him over to the Russians:

Well, there’s one very important caveat which is: although my accent is American and I was born in America, I immigrated to the United Kingdom, to London, 29 years ago and I’ve been living there ever since and became a British citizen. I’m not an American citizen. And so if Putin really wants to get hold of me to do all this questioning that he’s talking about, he’s actually approached the wrong head of state. He should be approaching Theresa May, who at this point in time probably has a few words for Vladimir Putin in relation to Novichok chemical weapons.

20 Likes

Feels like nothing if you’re only looking at the non-binding resolution; but this is the first time Senate Republicans have opposed Trump, and done so unanimously. Putting country above party - now can we find ways to encourage more of this?

EDIT - Ha ha that didn’t take long!

White House Now ‘Disagrees’ With Handing Americans Over to Putin for Questioning

6 Likes

What in the fucking Hell makes you wonder? Of course they would voted against it! Some things are bigger than treason, apparently.

5 Likes

Well, I kind of hope Trump pushes it through and lets Russia interrogate people.

Because that will damage the party and his presidency. That’s what this vote shows.

The sense that I get, is that Republicans are not at all happy with Trump, but they are determined to grab every cookie out of the cookie jar for as long as they can before they are forced to cut their losses.

The Democrats have let them get away with so much, for so long, there’s not deterrent there to stop the GOP.

If you think they are acting in bad faith, in a cynical fashion now, you ain’t seen nothing yet. The only way for their methods to pay off in the short term, is to ride this all the way to the bottom. I don’t see any remedy for any of this, short of villagers with pitchforks. The Dems are not going to save us, they are going to ask for more money. Mueller is not going to save us, he’s going to give the senate a tidy package they will decline to accept.

This is going to get much, much worse before it can begin to get better. Think of dry rot that’s only been slightly exposed.

4 Likes

Do me a favor and promise to never talk with people who are at risk for suicide or self harm.

“Stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit, it’s when shit gets tough that you must not quit.”

11 Likes

With Putin knocking off his enemies in the UK , Browder should be looking over his shoulder.

4 Likes

Just curiosity as to where their hard limits actually are.

“On the one hand, we really don’t want to hand US citizens over to the Rooskies… On the other hand, we really don’t want to be seen funding the abortion factories… decisions, decisions.”

4 Likes

Expected dialogue:

Trump: They’re all after me now and I lost my crib notes! What do I do next!?
Putin: Just be you, and remember that my friends in the House will handle the rest.

http://time.com/5343145/trump-putin-second-meeting/

3 Likes

now when asked, “where is Moose and Squirrel?!” nobody has to answer.

1 Like

He has been for a while now. From what I’ve read Browder spends a lot of money on bodyguards and security.

7 Likes