Trump issues babble after signing Russia sanctions into law

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/02/trump-issues-babble-after-sign.html

4 Likes

Note: Jon Cooper is Chairman of the Democratic Coalition and this kind of thing is in the category of being too believable to be true. But with president pepe everything is believable.

Update: Whitehouse spox, Sarah Huckabee-Sanders, has officially denied that such a call was made. So, give it a few days for it to come out.

11 Likes

But not everything is true

1 Like

When republicans pass legislation, it represents the will of the American people. When Democrats pass legislation, it is an attack on democracy and freedom. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

23 Likes

It also seems unlikely Putin asked Trump to add a few random paragraphs of excuses to a meaningless statement that won’t effect the law.

3 Likes

This may be the most coherent and self aware thing Trump has ever said. “As President, I can make far better deals with foreign countries than Congress.”

I would say we’ll have to wait until the investigation is through to know just how great a deal he’s made with foreign countries, but he sucks at making deals with Congress, so I’ll give him this one.

13 Likes

So he puts a friendly to Russia smiley face on this…

“… I am signing this bill for the sake of national unity. It represents the will of the American people to see Russia take steps to improve relations with the United States.”…

…then shifts gears where Iran and SK are involved…

“Further, the bill sends a clear message to Iran and North Korea that the American people will not tolerate their dangerous and destabilizing behavior.”

… while completely ignoring Russia’s own dangerous and destabilizing behavior.

3 Likes

I have always been under the impression that republicans have been strongly opposed to such behavior.

7 Likes

Unity here doesn’t mean the rift between Democrats and Republicans like it normally does. Here it means the divide between Executive and Legislative branches. If he didn’t sign this it makes it, well not obvious, it already is so, but he is not actively favoring Russia. He doesn’t sign this the impeachment clock starts ticking down much faster.

2 Likes

I just don’t get it. It honestly sounds like something a high schooler would write. Like a B student. It’s meandering, off topic, and full of regurgitated bullet points.

7 Likes

What comes from his mind that isn’t?

2 Likes

I thought it sounded like a kid trash signing a high school yearbook.

7 Likes

It’s about as coherent as he gets. Did you read the transcript of his interview with the WSJ? It is exhausting to try to follow the thread of his speech. It’s like trying to chase a rabbit through a forest - every now and then you think you got a glipse of it in the distance, but then it’s gone again and you’re left just randomly guessing which way it went.

14 Likes

There was really nothing more that Trump could do here. He couldn’t veto the bill (not just because of the appearance of impropriety, but because it was passed with a veto-proof majority), so the only way he could save any face here is to “make it about himself” and come up with some bogus gripes about “constitutionality” and such.

(It’s funny that suddenly he shows such an interest in upholding the Constitution after spending so many months openly flouting it.)

9 Likes

14 Likes

Let’s face it, Trumpie only wrote one of those paragraphs. Guess which one!

10 Likes

I got an idea for news outlets…how about you just announce something if the pustule ever accidently says something coherent instead of stating the given every time his fistula gapes open

6 Likes

Well, 45 should have just said “political unity” instead, but, you know, subtleties and who really wants to collude with ‘leftists’.

3 Likes

This statement might be true if they only wanted to license the American name. You know, like China rebrands to “Asia-America” or something.

1 Like

3 Likes