Carl Bernstein: Trump 'delusional' & danger to national security — McMaster, Tillerson, Bolton, Mattis, Kelly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/29/carl-bernstein-trump-delusi.html

12 Likes

:man_shrugging:

10 Likes

I guarantee you the GOP Senators know all about this. But they know they’ll lose the racist voters necessary to keep their seats if they oppose Trump, so they don’t care. Cowards, all, patriots none.

52 Likes

[maniacally cackles] we’resofucked.

12 Likes

“One wonders why none of the president’s ex-men bothered to do anything about their revelation that Trump is unfit for office, beyond cashing in with speaking engagements and books.”

This.

44 Likes

But it’ll be okay - undoubtedly {somebody other than me} will step up and clean up this mess!

Best and brightest they are not.

5 Likes

let me guess: they weren’t choosen for their good character in the first place.

15 Likes

The really sad thing, is that just shows how shortsighted and ignorant they truly are. The racists still would vote for them anyway, but now they’re losing the larger game since the unaligned moderates in this country are going to start seeing the whole Republican Party for the corrupt cesspool it truly is. Add to that the anger they’re unleashing from minorities and others on the left, and it’s pushing them to that tipping point where the despair is giving way to rage, and that rage is leading to higher levels of political activity - some of which is protests, but a lot of it is a determination to vote.

The Republicans could have quietly disposed of Trump, and done just fine with President Pence, but instead have all fallen in line with the Hitler-wannabe, and they will be remembered for such at the polls. (Whether that helps or hurts them depends on where they’re from, I guess, but overall it’s not going to be pretty.)

19 Likes

Bernstein’s article doesn’t really tell us anything we didn’t already either know or surmise, but its longer form does make all the data-points hang together to present a pretty vivid, almost novelistic, psychological portrait.
(Of a pathetic and miserable simpleton, a world-historical bootlicker and fool.)

24 Likes

I am getting tired of reading articles that confirm my knowledge of what a fucking disaster this has been. I look forward to reading articles about the lost years that are behind us.

I am not optimistic, because facts as viable things are under attack. Without commonly agreed facts we won’t ever arrive at any common well-being and goals. I honestly don’t know how we will get there.

14 Likes

Not really a surprise, but it does remind us how well Merkel has done. I take some tiny comfort in knowing that, in the decades to come, her star will shine while Trump will be reviled… (assuming that we are still here in the decades to come of course)

19 Likes

And many are so compromised themselves they can’t speak out.

6 Likes

Really makes a person wonder about that time honored strategy of “playing to your base”

Especially when that base is a shrinking demographic.

Oh well, don’t let the door hit ya on the way out.

3 Likes

America has become the clean up on aisle 10 of the world.

18 Likes

The Republican Party is, and has been racist for a long time. In many ways they groomed and stoked the hatred and xenophobia we see today. It could be excused as pandering to racists for political expediency, or it could be that the whole damn party and its politicians are racist from the ground up. Trump is the flavour of the day, but the rot goes a lot deeper.

11 Likes

They are just rats fleeing the ship. If Trump’s fortunes weren’t corroding, they would have kept schtum.

6 Likes

It’s too late in the cycle to be primaried, and having Turnip campaign against you is “meh” right now with his disapproval rating.

8 Likes

That should be DJ Trump’s entry in “Who’s Who”

5 Likes

Angela Merkel has told the EU that they no longer can count on the USA to lead the western democracies and that they should prepare for a vacuum

I don’t know is this is just Trump related or an indication of something more profound that is just surfacing due to Trump’s inability to deal with the problems but there seems to be a line of though among the european leaders pointing to the decline on the american empire and the need to get ready to deal with russia and china on their own terms

10 Likes

Isn’t this simply the fruition of the Putin-Surkov Plan? Using post-truth to destroy democracy?

4 Likes