Trump "just refounded Isis" says Fox's Brian Kilmeade to Sarah Sanders

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/21/trump-just-refounded-isis.html

3 Likes

Gg0XN8j

25 Likes

Whether you believe the US should be in Syria or not, the consensus seems to be that this is the worst possible way to pull out.

Trump losing Fox seems like a necessary precondition to him finally losing his immovable base. It’s still hard to imagine any kind of graceful, Nixon style impeachment and peaceful transfer of power though.

35 Likes

This is like Cheers kicking Norm out.

20 Likes

I read somewhere that Erdogan himself was surprised that Trump just caved completely in the call, and warned him against just pulling out right away with no plan. My guess is the Turkish dictator was expecting more bargaining, leading to some smaller concession, but instead T just folded like a cheap suit.

19 Likes

Yeah; I think the next few weeks are going to be pretty rocky.

8 Likes

Everybody is being twisted into pretzels by our idiotic president and the media at large… Democrats who used to call for restraint in the middle east and a warming of relations with Russia now want never-ending wars to confront the “soviet” enemy. Fewer wars is what we were all calling for when we elected Obama (to no effect).

I honestly don’t know if leaving Syria is a bad idea or not, but I don’t think we should automatically jump to this Russian conspiracy angle. Obviously Putin and Russia are moving backwards, but confrontation is not necessarily always the best play. The middle east is a quagmire for any foreign power, so staying or leaving might have the same results in the end… Russia could be tied up for years, and without the US to pose as their mortal enemy, they might lose popular support for the war back home…

ETA - I hope people understand that my statement is not in support of Russia in any way. I just caution against knee-jerk, anti-Russia sentiment. They aren’t lurking behind every bush… I think some on the left are being conned by neo-conservative war-mongers

6 Likes

The entire Huckabee family should be thrown in a volcano.

9 Likes
5 Likes

These last couple weeks have been pretty wild. Between the erratic decisions alarming his supporters and the investigation circling ever closer, I think we may finally be nearing the end-game, which I predict to be a Trump resignation so that Pence can pardon him. Then again, he may be stupid enough to think he can actually pardon himself. It certainly would be like him to reject his best chance at a way out.

11 Likes

That’s the sense that I’m getting; things seems to be unraveling at a faster pace now…

11 Likes

I think the best way Trump could defeat ISIS is to be chosen as their leader…

38 Likes

If Il Douche loses “We Three Morons” on an issue he’s in trouble.

7 Likes

Splice this in a loop with Trump’s claims during the campaign that Clinton and Obama founded ISIS and stick in the dictionary next to projection.

No, I don’t buy the reality of the claim, it’s the fact that every single disaster is something he accused someone else of, first.

8 Likes

He’s a walking projector; everything negative he says about someone else is something that he himself is guilty of.

35 Likes

I’d be fine with it if they were just fired.

From a cannon.

Into the sun.

8 Likes

But they’ve still got their career chips.

3 Likes

This is correct. Did I want troops in Syria? No. Do I think pulling another “destabilize and cut/run” is a good idea? Hell no. And abandoning the Kurds to Russia is just flat out disgusting.

I suppose there’s an argument to be made that the US never intended to nor has the mental fortitude to stabilize the region before leaving but I still contend that abandoning the Kurds is disgusting.

26 Likes

I don’t see anyone here, or any US leftie or Democrat elsewhere, wanting “never-ending wars to confront the ‘soviet’ enemy” as you put it.

What I am seeing is people worried, and rightfully IMO, that Trump will completely fuck up this withdrawal since he’s an insecure, impulsive narcissist who doesn’t understand what he’s doing and he won’t listen to those who do.

As for warming of relations with Russia, the fact is that Russia is very much of a bad actor right now, and they really should not be allowed to get away with the heinous shit they’ve been doing in the recent years. Confrontation may not be the best play, but it’s worlds better than excusing Russia’s unacceptable behavior, for example in Ukraine, and imagining that appeasing Putin will somehow make him act nicer. (Spoiler: it won’t. He will consider you a weak fool, and push harder.)

17 Likes

“You’re the puppet,” said the puppet.

17 Likes