Trump lawyer Todd Blanche blows a fuse — shouts at Michael Cohen in courtroom: "That's a lie!"

also, just great:

Blanche opened his cross examination [asking] Cohen if he remembered calling [blanche] a “crying little s***.”

Cohen, dryly, replied: “Sounds like something I would say.”

Before Mr Blanche could finish his next question, Justice Juan Merchan cut him off and called him to the bench out of earshot of the jurors and courtroom.

“Stop making this about yourself,” he told Mr Blanche, according to a court transcript

:rofl:

21 Likes

As with many other things, he only has a self-centred child’s understanding of it. For him, it’s all still “the cooties”.

13 Likes

Blanche: “That’s a lie!”

Me, if I were Cohen: “Is that what your client told you? Why doesn’t your client come up here, get sworn in, then call me a liar to my face?”

17 Likes

They have fuses? I assumed by this point that Trump’s lawyers had gotten arc-welded to the ground by stray currents.

And of course they don’t have breakers, that would only be in circuit court.

However, they are all washed up and foaming at the mouth, so maybe the term fits.

And if they are making callouts by saying “Breaker Breaker,” then they’re tired of the Allegations

16 Likes

Your Honor, the opposing counsel is witnessing the badgers.

16 Likes

Why assume that?

9 Likes

What was Merchan’s response to the yellowing?

2 Likes

trump’s lawyer getting mad someone lied in court is like if i got made someone took a purposefully contrarian position on an internet discussion board

hypocritical

1 Like

Oh, that’s hilarious. Trump always gets mad at his lawyers, because he expects them to alter reality for him, which they obviously can’t. So his lawyers don’t have the facts on their side, don’t have the law on their side… and don’t even have Trump on their side.

It’s always funny when pro-Trump forces try to tear down Cohen, but it’s especially funny in the context of this trial. “He’s a known liar!” (“Yes, and what was he lying about, and for whom?”) “He’s a convicted criminal!” (“Gosh, and what exactly was he convicted of?”)

Reportedly Trump is getting upset about Blanche not following his instructions to attack the witnesses, the jury, the judge… Trump always gets mad at his lawyers for not following his (illegal/counter-productive) instructions sufficiently and he also gets mad when they don’t win - so his lawyers are guaranteed to get Trump angry with them whatever they do. Inevitably they seem to end up trying performative things like this (which don’t actually break the law or torpedo the case outright) to gain his favor, but it doesn’t work because it’s not enough for Trump.

15 Likes

Maybe. Getting angry is an honest reaction. Contrarianism isn’t.

11 Likes

many folks become contrarian because they feel no one validates them if they’re authentic

>_>

Nuh-uh.

7 Likes

Yes. It’s a form of narcissism.

11 Likes

Now I feel seen in the worst way.

10 Likes

…especially in Internet forums.

9 Likes

Please stop :sob:
ETA: /s. sort of

12 Likes

Meanwhile the talking heads on CNN can’t stop gushing about how Cohen just lost the case for the prosecution with today’s testimony. I need a break from all of this.

13 Likes

Oh, for God’s sake, it’s pure theater, for the benefit of the judge and the client. He isn’t “blowing a fuse” at all. Faced with damning factual evidence, you do everything you can to make the witness look like a liar.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t get it. It sure seems to me like mountaining a molehill. And also wishing for an interesting upset.

Of course it could always go hung jury, they might have a MAGA among their jurors. But if that’s on the way, that would likely happen regardless of any potential faults in Cohen’s testimony.

3 Likes

And knowing that, it’s fair for the judge to criticize or even censure such manipulative behavior. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes