Trump lawyer Todd Blanche blows a fuse — shouts at Michael Cohen in courtroom: "That's a lie!"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/16/trump-lawyer-todd-blanche-blows-a-fuse-shouts-at-michael-cohen-in-courtroom-thats-a-lie.html

10 Likes

No, no: he’s already lost it.There’s no up from Trump lawyer.

31 Likes

He’s already been the object of the petulant man-child’s whinging, so I guess he has to let off steam where he can.

I assume Blanche at least had the good sense to get paid up-front by the deadbeat.

12 Likes

Trump’s attorneys really have an uphill battle when it comes to Cohen’s credibilty. They need to get the jury to question his testimony by arguing “Cohen is an amoral scumbag lawyer who would say or do almost anything,” but the prosecution’s position is “yes, exactly—and that’s why Trump employed him as a fixer for so long.”

30 Likes

So did Blanche decide that yelling at Cohen would sway the jury? Or did he really just lose it?

5 Likes

My guess is Trumpy insisted that Cohen get attacked.

17 Likes

So I was following the live blog on TPM. Cohen kind of inoculated himself early in his testimony by admitting he lied to protect Trump in the past, but has made a point of only telling the truth since he made a plea deal and did his time (the fact that he let his family down was what weighed on him most.) Blanche’s strategy is to try and find a way to say Cohen is still lying or is unreliable in his memory, and I think he’s having a hard time showing that to the jury.

18 Likes

Likely a performance for an audience of 1. The narcissist who gets the invoice.

Also the old saying comes to mind, “If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither on your side, pound the table.”

15 Likes

So shouting “that’s a lie” at witnesses in court is acceptable? Is this what I’m hearing? I’ve only been on the witness stand once and it was a really mild experience, but I thought this sort of behavior was generally frowned upon. It seems like I’ve even heard a term used to refer to it somewhere …

badger GIF

30 Likes

Ah, yes, “mushrooming the witness”.

14 Likes

I have heard more than one person refer to lawyers as snakes. (I don’t actually agree with the generalization, of course.)

8 Likes

IMG_1347

16 Likes

Whom the gods wish to destroy…… they first make mad Trump Lawyers.”

10 Likes

Probably, but it’s futile. Biff wants his lawyers to be like Roy Cohn,* but that was a unique and innate level of pure evil that can’t be reproduced through effort alone.

[* without the “yucky” gay stuff – it’s a true comment on von Clownstick’s character that Cohn’s contracting AIDS was the thing that led him to drop him.]

13 Likes

I’ve seen lawyers scream things that were totally not questions at witnesses…on every courtroom/legal procedural ever on TV. I’ll allow it.

9 Likes

it’s a true comment on von Clownstick’s character that Cohn’s contracting AIDS was the thing that led him to drop him.]

I had no idea about that last part. And now having heard it: of course Trump reacted that way. It makes such perfect sense with all the ways he’s broken, and steadfastly refuses to get better.

6 Likes

If you’ve ever seen the uncharacteristically hardball celebrity interview Barbara Walters subjected him to, that’s the reason. Walters was Cohn’s long-term beard and loyal friend (which is a comment on her character – other pals included Kissinger and the al-Assad clan) and did not appreciate it when Biff started shunning him.

14 Likes

I don’t get this self-professed germaphobe. His obsession with “cleanliess” seem to only pertain to thing he can “see or aware,” like the story about his witness in disgust of a man bleeding on on Mar-a-Lago floor or personal distance in public during Covid lock down. I’m pretty sure he will test positive for almost everything under STD category. He reminds of people wearing mask but take them off to sneeze.

7 Likes

Arguably, the only way you can go from “Trump lawyer” is up. Even disgraced hermit hiding in the wilderness is an upwards move from there.

9 Likes

During civil fraud trial:

But this time he couldn’t do it cuz Merchan would throw him in jail, so Blanche had to do it for him.

14 Likes