Trump on Twitter: "Impeach the Pres."

Median seems like the perfect stat in this case. If you include inflation and look at real median household income, that is also at a historic high right now.

Here is a good description about the components of the household income growth:

2 Likes

i think this is a nice graph of it. the red line ( 3rd from bottom ) is the median in inflation adjusted dollars.

basically, the lower half of society has stayed almost entirely the same for the last 55 years – but only ( and this graph alone doesnt show it ) by working more and more hours.

the middle part of society has grown a very little, also by the same technique.

and every one above, well they are in the stratosphere. ( and if the man in the white house is any guide, not working all that hard. )

[edit: i love how the mean of the top quintile is 385k. none of those households – two incomes – probably think themselves ultra rich, given health care, college, and child care and the rest. above them are still the millionaires and billionaires after all. it’s extraordinary how low the top quintile is dragged down by how many people are making so little below them.

a healthy distribution would have the highest incomes actually showing up in that graph ]

7 Likes

Ukraine is ranked #1 in the World in terms of income equality. Slovenia, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic are close behind. Iceland is great for it too. Next comes Kazakhstan, Belarus, and Kosovo.

In other words, scary-sounding places that have swarthy Eastern Europeans and Central Asians and don’t have* beach resorts?

*yeah yeah, I know, Slovenia has them

1 Like

Beach resorts are bastions for inequality.

Iceland would actually be a great place to live if you’re self employed- say a writer. The main problem is that it is more expensive to live there than NYC. Same with the Nordic countries.

Eastern Europe is the sweet spot between equality and affordability.

Exactly.

But I’d be willing to give that up if it meant more equality.

not sure i understand your point.

the us has terrible inequality, people sleeping on the streets and people just on the edge, no matter how much they work it’s literally impossible for some people to change their lot in life, generational poverty; meanwhile other people are born so rich, work is completely optional and it will be the same for their kids no problem. so is this good or bad?

you’re saying that it’s good maybe?

2 Likes

I’m saying that Eastern Europe is pretty ideal. Equality + affordability beats anywhere that I can think of in the US.

There are dangerous elements, but as long as you know where not to go it is fine… same as any big city in the US. I would live there still, but my partner would never go for it.

1 Like

Goodness, thanks so much for clearing that up. :roll_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.