Trump promises a religious litmus test for citizenship

A very good point. 'Murican Jesus ain’t no Catholic.

2 Likes

IMG_3284

17 Likes

American religion? I can remember Scientology…

5 Likes

Damn - you beat me to it.

FSM is not happy and his noodly appendages are waving furiously.

7 Likes

There’s also Mormonism.

6 Likes

And the prosperity gospel. It doesn’t get more 'murican than that.

10 Likes

He wants to make America…just not America anymore. America has never really lived up to the premises on which it was founded, but he wants to do away with even the premises.

6 Likes

I am not sure it is exclusively American.

7 Likes

And Jehovah’s Witnesses, and snake handlers, and the Church of Satan, and the Heaven’s Gate cult… really lots of options for American religions.

5 Likes

I’ve always believed that America was where the rest of Western civilization sent their religious wackos since its founding. It explains so much.

5 Likes

It is being exported to Latin America and África too…

1 Like

Um, well actually, quite a lot of those religious “wackos” were just regular people who just happened to be in the wrong place and were persecuted for not having the “right” religion. Often times, they came after some sort of violence aimed at their group, you know, like attacks on catholics in protestant areas or attacks on protestants in Christian areas. Or anti-Jewish pograms or, you know, like the Holocaust. Part of the reason we had religious toleration written into the constitution (in the first amendment, in fact) was that colonial America was already a very religiously pluralistic society, and they had little interest in repeating the European religious wars of the 15th, 16th, 17th centuries…

And let’s not forget that “wacko” is highly contextual. Abolitionist Quakers were considered religious “wackos” of their day, but the authoritarian enslavers faith was considered perfectly moral and just, despite, you know advocating for enslaving people based on the color of their skin.

10 Likes

TFG is referring to Mammon. No other will be entertained. /s

3 Likes

Nor his.

…walk into a bar.

6 Likes
4 Likes

To paraphrase a line from the ‘80s movie The Manhattan Project, they need to lock him up in a little room and throw away the room.

10 Likes

What an asshole!
– Christ

10 Likes

I was wondering. What will this test be like? Multiple choice? Essay questions? A physical fitness test? A quizz like those tv game shows?

5 Likes

What did happen to this rule?

3 Likes

the rabbit hole can be entered here.,

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/08/15/2019-17472/implementing-legal-requirements-regarding-the-equal-opportunity-clauses-religious-exemption

2 Likes