Trump promises a religious litmus test for citizenship

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/29/trump-promises-a-religious-litmus-test-for-citizenship.html

8 Likes

I’d be okay with locking him up in a room, any room, without anything and throwing away the key.

23 Likes

10 words too long.

For @FGD135

Coca Cola Coke GIF by LIMESODA Interactive Marketing GmbH

17 Likes

Seeing Biden losing support from some Muslim people because of his support for Israel’s Gaza clusterfuck, Trump casts about for a way to utterly alienate any potential new supporters.

What a moron.

15 Likes

Person, woman, man, camera, Ecclesiastes. I thought he claimed things like bible quotes and old v new were too personal.

11 Likes

Ping! First Amendment violation! Thank you for playing, next contestant please.

18 Likes

I’d like to think that even with Justices BeerBro, HandMaiden, and Clarence “The Griftinator” Thomas, repealing the First Amendment would be a nonstarter. But at this point, I don’t know how much money I’d be willing to bet on it.

17 Likes

Even if you make it foolproof, there is ALWAYS a bigger fool!

4 Likes

The sentences that come before the religious part make it even worse. “I will implement strong ideological screening of all immigrants.” Gee I wonder what ideologies he would be opposed to?

13 Likes

A reminder that, as over-the-top unconstitutional as this is, he and his minions fully intend to implement it if they attain power.

24 Likes

“Our” religion? Just who do you suppose “our” refers to? It sure as hell does not refer to me or mine.

26 Likes

Two Corinthians!

13 Likes

:man_facepalming: An issue that the founding fathers (Jefferson at least) already considered and rejected.

13 Likes

By many measures Catholicism is an extremely conservative and patriarchal form of Christianity, yet more American Catholics identify as Democrats than Republicans because generations of American right-wing bigots proclaimed that Catholic immigrants weren’t the right kind of Christians. If most Catholics still don’t feel comfortable in the GOP then imagine how long it’s going to take the party to start winning over people of non-Christian faiths.

Republicans sure do love burning those bridges. Almost as much as they love burning books.

17 Likes

They’d call Biblical Jesus too “woke” to be admitted to the US. They’d prefer Republican Jesus (or as they sometimes call him, Action Movie Star Jesus.) And of course the Trumpian Bible has got to change a few of those downer lines.

“That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.”? [Matthew 5:28] Republican Jesus says that “It’s not adultery unless she gets ugly or fat.” /s

“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you”??? [Matthew 5:44] Republican Jesus says “Stand your ground! They’re comin’ right for us!”

“But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.”? [Matthew 6:6] Republican Jesus says “If you’re not seen worshipping Me and My buddy Donald Trump (and sending us your donations), you’re not really doing My work are you?”

Even Buddy Christ would be preferable to Republican Jesus IMO.

5 Likes

Man, so close yet no cigar (or cookie if you are so inclined)

If they don’t like our freedom from any religious test or requirement…
oh wait that’s exactly the opposite of what he said! Silly me.

And with his dinner guest and ‘ye’ pal Nick Fuentes declaring that all Others must be put to the sword once god emperor drumpf ascends his golden throne, I am sensing a pattern of some kind emerging. Curious, I can alllllmost see it.

2 Likes

Any kind of a religious litmus test would immediately disqualify Trump and his failsons. The rotten orange pumpkin can’t even successfully pretend to be a right-wing Christian.

9 Likes

Ah, but you are assuming he’s talking about Christianity. He’s talking about himself, as your God, and if you don’t like that, get out. Think of the Kim family in North Korea – it is the same kind of cult following he wants, where you either worship the very ground he pisses on, or he throws you, your family, and anyone you’re friends with into a death camp where you’re worked to death – for the next three generations.

5 Likes

Fuck him.

2 Likes

I suspect that there would be some absolutely brutal logic chopping over what “our religion” is supposed to mean. Cynical invocation of “judeo-christian values” as though that means something seems to be the typical solution; but if you poke that even slightly it reveals itself to be basically nothing but shibboleth.

It would also be interesting to see the substantially-catholic reactionary wing of the supreme court contorting themselves to find a suitable American religion while studiously avoiding the fact that, historically, it was the sinister papist, with its inherent dual loyalty to a foreign despot, who was more often than not the target of religiously-tinged nativist campaigns.

4 Likes