Trump rally youth: 'Aunt Jemima was canceled… She was the picture of the American dream'

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/833525845046071297

54 Likes

I always hope this kind of shit turns out to be performance art, but it never is.

For the young neoconfederate, is having a personal brand the American dream? Or is it the idea that white and Black America are cool and everything should be, you know, good now?

11 Likes

Well she spells it Reagan not Regan, so Ronnie Raygun is a good bet for the namesake

8 Likes

She should ask for a refund.

21 Likes

Northwestern State: (holding hands up in a pleading gesture)

Look man, we just sold her the education. We have nothing to do with whether she utilized it.

28 Likes

Regan,

Much like you’re namesake, you’re fucking deluded.

If you think YOU would consider the opportunity to be the racist trope joke face of a product for an America of a different color that enslaved you the American Dream, you have not only no depth of introspection into the general human condition, nor into how inhuman such a vapid and tasteless line of thought that is.

Sincerely,
-Every American not watching their own lobotomy with a mirror for the last 4 years for entertainment, like you apparently have

9 Likes

Imagine mistaking breakfast marketing hoo-ha for actual history.

21 Likes

Ah yes, the American dream to have a parody of your likeness used to make a small collection of white people obscenely rich while you go die in a gutter for all they care. I remember that dream. It was accompanied by a fever, cold sweats, and the hallucination that I died.

37 Likes

42 Likes

First they came for Aunt Jemima, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a box of pancake batter…

21 Likes

Everything you just said, and: by saying “freed slave”, she is carrying forward the concept of someone BEING a slave. The person HAD BEEN enslaved, and then through through the force of a war was freed. They are no longer any type of slave. What the heck does “freed” mean if it’s immediately followed by “slave”?

But of course, in the minds of Republicans, Blacks are still slaves, underneath it all. Freed ones, don’t ya know, but that’s just a change of adjective.

38 Likes

There is an entire alternative structure for education among white evangelicals, including historians who have been busily trying to re-white-wash history. Prager U is at the forefront of that.

People laugh it off, but it’s a serious propaganda problem.

46 Likes

It’s because it’s taught as actual history, by people with credentials (often from Christian universities, but not always). There is a whole parallel set of structures to indoctrinate people who were concerned with indoctrination from “government” schools post integration.

31 Likes

Not to mention on the faces of children who wanted to celebrate blackface as part of a balanced breakfast!

30 Likes

Paraphrasing what Edgar Bergan once said of his wooden puppets, “she was born ignorant and had been losing ground ever since…”

23 Likes

Time to wake up then!

Oh yes definitely.
I was in that system until high school.

15 Likes

George Floyd was presumably descended from freed slaves, and clearly has already had a bigger positive impact on society than any Republican senator. I suppose she would consider Floyd to be living the American Dream.

5 Likes

It’s super grotesque because it seems she’s conflating the “Aunt Jemima” mammy stereotype character they used with the first woman hired to play the part for live promotional events, Nancy Green (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Green ). She was exploited by the company (her family sued, even) and died at 89 still having to work as a housekeeper, because her “lifetime contract” to make use of her performances and images paid her shit. She sure as fuck wasn’t “successful” as a result, and certainly not the millionaire that right-wing mythology apparently believes her to have been.

47 Likes

Jeez, that mask is nightmarish; especially when I imagine it with a little, snotty, pink nose poking out through the hole.

13 Likes