Trump re-election campaign texts allegedly violated spam laws

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/25/trump-re-election-campaign-tex.html

5 Likes

Huh. Usually politicians write themselves an exception to spam laws.

“When we do it, it’s not spamming”, said every spammer ever!

eta:

Rule #1: Spammers lie.

• Russel’s Admonition: Always assume that there is a measurable chance that the entity you are dealing with is a spammer.
  • Lexical Contradiction: Spammers will redefine any term in order to disguise their abuse of Internet resources.
    • Sharp’s Corollary: Spammers attempt to re-define “spamming” as that which they do not do.
    • Finnell’s Corollary: Spammers define “remove” as “validate.”
      The Rules of Spam, Bruce’s Blog.
21 Likes

:musical_note:
And another one down
And another one down
Another one under the bus
Hey, he’s gonna get you, too
Another one under the bus
:musical_note:

7 Likes

Received two of these literally in the last ten minutes, with one simply saying “Support Donald Trump and Melania” with a link to click. Blocked the numbers (two different ones), then deleted. They’re grasping at straws here.

8 Likes

Well, of course they are. The campaign has been violating every other kind of law, after all.

16 Likes

No, no, you don’t understand.

Laws are for you. Not us.

8 Likes

I could well be more extreme on the matter than average; but I’m honestly a bit surprised at this point that political spamming in favor of the party being spammed about, rather than designed to appear to be coming from the opponent, is still seen as a useful tactic.

Hating spammers is like hating the cable company, an area where no useful progress is made; but which enjoys strong support across the board. I would have, perhaps naively, assumed that looking enough like a spammer that major telcos think you fall over the line would be something you would actively avoid for sake of appearances.

10 Likes

The Conservative principle: There is an in-group whom the law protects but does not bind, and an out-group whom the law binds but does not protect.

16 Likes

Why do all Trump supporters look like they define the quote “ridden hard and put away wet”? Wait, don’t answer that…

4 Likes

4 years later, still:
using songs from bands without their permission
texting people against their will
firing anyone who investigates him
freeing his jailed co-conspirators when they get caught
saying he won’t leave if not reelected
lying attack ads against his opponents
getting help from the Russians

It will not end.

11 Likes

One of the politicians in country where I live hired a trailer with fake ad for his opponent, and used it to purposefully slow down and block traffic. He probably hoped that his opponent will be hated for it, but truth came out and the plan backfired.

10 Likes

The campaign alleges that screening the texts amounts to suppressing political speech, while carriers fear allowing them will result in fines for violating anti-spam rules.

This is the part where Trump’s lawyers try to convince the carriers that Trump’s re-election is a done deal and will ensure that they don’t get fined.

7 Likes

Never am I more glad to live under EU laws than when I hear about unsolicited spam texts or even phone calls.

(My parents’ landline actually gets a few spam calls from time to time but never anyone’s cellphone)

8 Likes

Lorem ipsum.

3 Likes

Trump Allegedly Violates All the Laws All the Time

Fixed the headline for you.

3 Likes

Naturally, this whole screw-up is being blamed on Jared Kushner

Well, between negotiating peace in the mid-east, coordinating the Office of Nepotism, being the drug czar, managing VA reform, fluffing Donald, contracting information tech for the govt, and heading the covid response, you can’t blame him for letting a detail fall through the cracks here and there.

6 Likes

goddamn you! Couldn’t resist the “fluffing Donald” joke could you. I’m a very visual thinker, and that unwillingly put a very unpleasant image into my mind.

Also, this is you. Bastard.

10 Likes

I don’t deny it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

a recent story was making the rounds that there was an advert for trump that said “click here to sign a petition to outlaw TikTok” but when you clicked it, it took you to a website that just signed you up on their Email list.

I assume dirty tricks like this have been happening from the beginning and is how they can claim that they are only calling people who opted into their calls. also since capitalism is never against screwing people, there might be people selling them lists that they claim are legit and are totally NOT legit and that would make up the lefties n shit who would never click anything remotely trump related trick or no trick.

2 Likes

Naturally, this whole screw-up is being blamed on Jared Kushner

probably because he is responsible for it. No one’s being unfair to Jared. He wouldn’t be getting blame unless the policy were his idea, look at how many things he’s fucked up but still stays in control of major initiatives.

1 Like