Trump says his "authority is total"

331ja8

24 Likes

3 Likes

There will be more nation-states than California before this is over.

12 Likes

All those ‘states rights’ republicans are gonna push back so hard on this obvious departure from conservative val…

What…I say…what in ‘tarnation? States rights is only brought up when it’s convenient to disagree with a federal order? And not in the face of authoritarianism that they agree with? Well I nevah …

29 Likes

See also the Judge Dredd inspired

Anthrax - ‘I am the Law’

1 Like

There’s always a fucking tweet.

8 Likes

Fuck off, Pumpkinhead.

14 Likes

it’s worse than that, he sends in FEMA to seize supplies coming into states with governors he doesn’t like and gives them to states he does

we’ve opened a huge can of worms with him having “war powers” now

when there is a second wave, and there most certainly will be around November, he actually can cancel elections and 45% of the country will say “that’s fine”

I mean he ran a propaganda piece today at an official briefing right out of an authoritarian country and no-one blinked, we’re done

21 Likes

I’m going to take a Stand here and say that “Among the Living” seems more tailored to our times. However, the disease (mindless support for a politician dead set against your interests) preceded COVID-19.
45 only wishes he could be as significant as Randall Flagg or Judge Dredd.

4 Likes

I’m beginning to think that Vladimir is a bad influence on Donald.

17 Likes

It’s OK though, because nobody said the words “quid pro quo” so there wasn’t one.

9 Likes

I wish the news would stop looking like the beginning of so many classic dystopian novels.

16 Likes

California is welcome to join:

6 Likes

Strange that we aren’t hearing a nationwide chorus of outrage from the Red “States’ Rights” States, and from the Bundy crowd, who are all against Federal power, even Fox news should be screaming, if any of them had any consistent principles. They should all be screaming at the top of their lungs… :thinking:

20 Likes

Yeah I am thinking Friday by Robert Heinlein.

6 Likes

Does your feed include content from any of those sources, though?

I’m trying not to think of Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler.

8 Likes

Newsom’s “nation-state” rhetorical bombshell the other day made me feel like tectonic plates were moving under my feet. Now we see the three West Coast governors saying “The United States has failed us. We are in this together.” New York and a couple surrounding States are saying the same thing. It reminds me strongly of the last days of the Soviet Union. People stopped believing in it, so the magic went away faster than anyone believed possible. Getting that same energy here. And Putin smirks as his asset Agent Orange does what Khrushchev predicted.

Could Cascadia go it alone? No. I really don’t think it would be viable.
The Republic of California with Washington and Oregon absorbed by Canada? Absolutely.
Pacifica? No doubt about it. And Hawaii would probably come along for the ride.

It was fantasy fifteen years ago. It was science fiction four years ago. Now it’s a contingency. The benefits of staying in the United States are shrinking, and the costs are becoming very, very high. Maybe, just maybe it’s time for an alternative. WEXIT may be a matter of survival.

30 Likes

True enough, but my secondary feeds contain comments on what those people are saying. Just did a quick search of the Fox News website and no outrage there. Here’s a spin from Britebart: " White House Press Corps Demanded Trump Shut Down Economy; Now Question His Authority to Reopen It" - it’s all the media’s fault! :-/

11 Likes

Just like the framers intended, right? I mean, fuck, if this doesn’t shake any so-called conservative or libertarian Trump supporters to their core, I don’t know what will.

4 Likes