Trump supporter demanded to see a list of impeachable offenses; someone happily obliged

I will take this “stilted” speech a thousand times over someone yelling third-grade-level words and calling names, but I guess some people like that sort of thing.

7 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

6 Likes

The only offences specifically mentioned in the constitution as impeachable are treason and bribery, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only things you can be impeached for. The relevant bit (article 2, section 4) reads:

The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors

That last bit – “High Crimes and Misdemeanors” – basically means whatever Congress wants it to mean. The president doesn’t have to have broken any law, or to have been accused of doing so, in order to be impeached: as one lawyer put it (paraphrased and uncredited, because I can’t find the source), they could impeach him for the way he parts his hair. It’s a political rather than a judicial process, more akin to the vote of confidence in Westminster systems than to a criminal trial.

(One of my American-history lecturers argued that the word “shall” in “shall be impeached” implied that the Framers envisaged this as a common and standard way of removing a president from office. But he did trend towards the eccentric.)

2 Likes

Hey thread… first off, BEN CARSON ISN’T A PHD HE’S AN MD!

Second, so happy to know that people who spend years of their lives studying and working hard in order to increase the knowledge of humanity are so valued here. Gives me warm fuzzies… (not the woman in question, though, she can fuck off)… If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be over here, regretting my life forever…

kanye-west-smile-frown

10 Likes

I don’t think it’s so much that. The MSM really did love Obama, aside from Fox. I think the difference is that Democratic voters and media personalities have more shame and self-awareness about hypocrisy and insanity, and are somewhat less winner-take-all-including-the-definition-of-reality. “Sliding off them” means the base and approval ratings aren’t affected, Trump isn’t under as much fire as he could be, but the media isn’t giving him a pass by any means, it just isn’t sinking in with voters who have decided they truly don’t care because reasons.

1 Like

Came here to post this, found it was already taken care of. Thank you.

1 Like

Optometrists are not medical doctors. Like chiropractors, they are “doctors” via legislative fiat.

4 Likes

However they don’t claim to fix everything with magic massage. They are well trained and educated clinicians (is that the right word?) who know when to pass the buck off to an MD when they see the signs to do so.
No reason to work with an MD for your yearly check on how bad your myopia is.

ETA not that are not idiots out there…

5 Likes

Keep in mind the only doctors who aren’t “doctors by legislative fiat” are the learned doctors of the church; those who hold license to teach through having defended a dissertation in one of the great religious universities of Europe. Quite literally and totally not kidding!

Physicans, and later surgeons, were granted the courtesy title of “doctor” sometime after the 12th century (I can’t remember if it’s ever been pinned down any further than that) to indicate that their social status was equal to that of a non-preaching cleric. A preaching cleric would be a priest, addressed as Father, and would enjoy greater respect.

So it’s more factually correct than not to say that PhDs are the real doctors. Physicians are referred to as “doctor” quite literally as a courtesy, because at some point the Christian church decided the ministers of the body deserved some recognition, and gave them as much as the lower ranks of the ministers of the soul.

3 Likes
1 Like

3 Likes

I feel that a lot of people stop learning once they’ve got the degree they want. The mark of an intellectual is how they use their faculties after the formal schooling has ended. Some people can build on limited education by continuing to self educate, nurturing their intellectual curiosity, and realizing that learning isn’t something that you finish. Others can squander an expensive education by earning their degree, staking out a good job, and cashing paychecks for the rest of their life without ever cracking another book or working to expand their understanding of the world. Why would they if they think they already have all the answers?

1 Like

Herr Drumpfenfuhrer might as well BE Jesus, as far as they’re concerned. My personal theory hypothesizes that Two-Scoops serves as a screen onto which all these regressive idiots can project their ignorance and prejudices; when he says or does anything “just like I would”, then it’s validation of their own desires, but when he’s thwarted or questioned in any way in the slightest degree, that’s an attack on his base as well as “the honor of the Presidency”.
So: compare the regressives’ response to any criticism of Jesus’ teachings with any criticism of Teh Orange Menace’s Tweets. Any difference?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.