Trump tells supporters to be 'poll watchers' on Election Day, lies about fraud and theft at voting locations

I think von Liegenstuhl argue more on general principles on how election observers are supposed to act, and how their reports are supposed to be handled. It’s unfortunately pretty clear that’s not what Trump wants or how those MAGA supporters will act.

4 Likes

They’d be wise to stay away. A Space Force first contact would look like this

4 Likes

I agree, and I am not sure looking at what Trump said and thinking optimistically that he meant trained poll-watchers is conducive to our continued survival.

2 Likes

If they do research on us first, it will probably go more like this:

You are assuming a civilized country.

1 Like

Poll watcher checklist:

• Spot anyone who looks funny.
  • Spot anyone who talks funny.
4 Likes

Pretty sure they’ve already done the second one.

2 Likes

As long as, yes. Gun-toting Trumpanzee militia don’t really care about the whole just-world fallacy though.

2 Likes

well, he couldn’t get the military to suppress voters through intimidation, so he’s getting militias to do it instead

arguably, they’ll be even more effective at intimidation because of their reputation for being less disciplined

2 Likes

I read all of this fear mongering about bloodshed and civil war part 2, but think of it this way: If these RW/white supremacist seal team twix wannabe commandos managed to survive 8 years with a black guy named Barack Hussein Obama in the white house, surely they can survive the loss of their cult leader losing the election?

Man, this is pretty much a daily occurrence at this point. And I suspect we have yet to reach peak 2020. If we survive, it will be story our grandkids will not believe.

5 Likes

Oh, you sweet summer child…

12 Likes

With guns? While claiming that the opposing party is already participating in rampant fraud, facts be damned?

As @Nightflyer notes, this is not the typical impartial observers. This is a call to harass presumed democratic voters.

That is what he is advocating here, by saying the democratic party is already involved in fraud.

JFC, dude, open your eyes. We are FAR outside the “norm” here… rather we are coming back to the pre voting rights act era, where certain people were actively barred from voting. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that the GOP is NOT acting in good faith, not the LEAST of which is their history of covertly appealing to racists and deploying underhanded tactics to gain an advantage:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/armed-poll-watchers-new-jerseys-cautionary-tale-ahead-of-the-2020-presidential-election/ar-BB17MRJA

I don’t have a problem with normal poll watchers. I DO have a problem with making accusations of voter fraud while threatening violence and engaging in such illegal actions that you’re claiming the other guy is doing.

12 Likes

I think if anyone actually does what he’s asking they will get arrested for causing a disturbance… The people that run polling places know what they’re doing, they follow procedures, if you show up and start challenging people who live in your own neighborhood there will be scuffles.

Probably that’s the point.

2 Likes

I agree - living up to my BB handle starting…NOW!

1 Like

This is straight up voter intimidation, not legitimate poll watching. It’s yet another attempt to suppress the vote of Democrats, especially people of color. Just like the VAST majority of voters purged in my state were in blue strong holds, like Atlanta.

9 Likes

That would be very on brand for 2020.

8 Likes

A lot of what we are seeing is a direct response to Obama’s tenure.

Making America “great” again is in large part attempting to make it a country in which Obama wouldn’t have won, or have even run. He’s limited from the outright ethnic cleansing he’d like to have, but less limited than he was in 2016.

I really don’t want to see what he would be capable of by 2024. Four more years building his ad hoc Proud Boys and Boogaloos into a militarized movement, and filling government positions with like-minded Nazis isn’t acceptable.

4 Likes

Or, you know, the police will hand them water.

7 Likes

As I said, you live in a ruined standards of democracy and that is why is important to stick to the core democratic principles. If you honestly asking those questions about your political opponents then you don’t have functional democracy in the US any more.

If they are elligible to vote and comply with the standards you’ve agreed - then they can be observers. And you are talking about all of them, as defining element of the group, not about individual idiots that will make scene at any elections in any country in the world.

So, do you honestly consider that this behavior that you describe will be an organized action on the voting stations and that your election officials are not capable nor able to detect and stop that behavior? If so, then you are stating that US is not capable to conduct democratic elections.

And if it is so, then orange liar is very very small problem that you have.

1 Like