Trump to divert $3.8B from Defense to build stupid Mexico wall

Dammit, Mister44, I was going to reference the word boondoggle, and how this wall was just a hellishly expensive attempt by Donald Trump to bring that word back.

But, then, here you are using what I assumed was a forgotten and completely appropriate term, therefore negating my joke.

However, I will not allow this to keep me from commenting. Even in the face of pointless obscurity, I march blindly forward…

4 Likes

Again, I would love to see an accounting of where all this “wall” money is going.

The fact that the wind can blow over the wall tells me the money is not going to materials or design, but into the pockets of layers of grifty contractors and sub-contractors.

4 Likes

And with a cut back to Drumpf, no doubt.

3 Likes

It’s working…

DoD covers a hell of a lot and Trump will be taking this money from where it could acutally be of use.

Sorry, no. DoD don’t need more drones.

1 Like

FTFY

3 Likes

Now if we could only get them to shunt the money to NASA or the Dept. of Education, or the CDC, or… it may actually make life better.

4 Likes

They still call it a “defense” budget, do they?

See this is what I don’t get about the opponents of Modern Monetary Theory (in brief: the state spends money into existence and taxes it out of existence, as such it can theoretically spend huge amounts forever so long the spending is channeled into non-inflationary forms) is that it’s already in action for the DOD and has been since WW2. Huge budget deficits, cost overruns, and material surpluses are routine in a Department that manages to lose trillions in accounting errors. It doesn’t matter how low taxes get slashed or how clever corporations will be in offshoring profits, there will always be sufficient greenbacks to oil the military. The government is already spending military money into existence in a massive wealth transfer to contractors and lobbyists and nominally destroying some of it via taxation of those benefiting from the largesse. But when a progressive, data-informed peon points out that the same practice could be employed to stunning benefit on education, infrastructure, or R&D, suddenly there’s no money to be had…

8 Likes

You know, we could save a few billion if we just built a 50-foot wall around Stephen Miller’s house one night while he’s asleep

2 Likes

White House plans to divert $3.8 billion from DoD to build Trump’s long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border,…

That’ll show those Russians. Stop trying to be tough guys.

Good thing Mexico is paying for that wall.

2 Likes

I know this is a thorough derail, but is boondoggle an archaic word where you are? I feel like people still use it all the time but maybe that’s a Canadian thing. (At some point an opposition party used the word “Boondoggle” so often some friends and I referred to them as a “boondoggle” party and later “the dogglers”)

“How are we going to pay for that?” = “The rich people don’t want us to do that.”

6 Likes

A presidential bid? No, much closer to 4.

3 Likes

Any word on the Northern Border Wall yet?

2009:

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2009-03-31-Boeing-Awarded-20-Million-Task-Order-for-Northern-Border-Project

https://www.industryweek.com/the-economy/public-policy/article/21947988/boeing-wins-contract-for-invisible-fence-border-monitoring

1 Like

I think boondoggle is big enough we can both say it. Let’s bring it back from obscurity!

2 Likes

I think Trump just misunderstood when asked where it comes from, He had people read out the the various budgets and when it came to “De Fence”, he like - “Yes, that one. Naturally. I didn’t know we already had a fence budget, let’s use that.”

4 Likes

It was just a word that popped into my head upon reading this post, and I realized I hadn’t heard it in a very long time.

It certainly doesn’t come up in conversations I regularly have, but I work on a construction site, so most communication boils down to grunts and gestures :grin:

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to try to use the word “boondoggle” to describe day to day things.

3 Likes