Trump told coal miners he'd bring back coal, so they're refusing retraining

OH - fun fact - on another forum I had a guy who worked in a mine send me some coal. I didn’t have a really good sample, and he sent some with little pyrite sea shells, and a few mine dollars, which are circular crystalline growths of pyrite. It really smelled when I first got it, but not so much now.

29 Likes

Denial is not a river in Pittsburgh. Well said.

6 Likes

Ooooh, super neat :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from. I’m currently living in a county that backed Trump by a very wide margin and many citizens here are trying to push back against a major wind power project even though it would pump alot of needed tax money back into the community. They want jobs that requires almost no effort into learning to do. Things don’t work that way anymore and it doesn’t sink in with them quite yet.

Even worse that our representative who’s a strong longtime, early Trump supporter is trying to kneecap the project on the hill right now with federal legislation (when he’s not busy trying to sell his aussie biotech firm there).

10 Likes

I wonder if there are any true believers in Nantucket who are still waiting for the whaling jobs to come back.

22 Likes

When the jobs don’t return, Trump will blame Dems/Hillary/Liberals/War on Coal/environmentalists/CNN - and these fuckwits will vote for him again.

4 Likes

They’d be better off mining horseshit. There’s an abundance of it. It’s the one thing trump delivers.

10 Likes

Too bad there was only one Secretary of Education appointment for their dear leader to fill.

9 Likes

and when the power never comes back on in PR,

those Americans will continue to not be able to vote for any of them.

5 Likes

That’s called retail and they are always hiring.

2 Likes

Is there even any use for coal besides burning it to generate energy?

Short answer: Yes. They are mostly not in America, such as the steel industry.

5 Likes

The thing I don’t understand is why and how these coal miners ended up believing in the coal companies? I’m hardly an expert, but even the most casual look at the history of coal mining shows that the mine owners and mining companies have always been the natural enemies of coal miners, and have squeezed the miners for every cent that the law has allowed them to get away with.

You can make coke from it, which is used in steel production. And it’s an useful source of hydrocarbon feedstocks for all sorts of industrial processes, usually starting with syngas made from coal. Apart from the coke, though, pretty much everything you can do with coal, you can also do with oil and natural gas.

15 Likes

A few:

Perfume
Lice Shampoo
Fertilizer
Steel
Golf Balls
Shingles
Hair Dye
Baking Soda
Moth Balls

3 Likes

Walmart, Dollar General, Aldi/Save-A-Lot, local chain grocery store and that one gas station minimart down the road can only absorb so many rural community jobs :worried:

4 Likes

Yes, it holds up layers of existing metamorphic formations, really well.

12 Likes

Hartford hasn’t entirely given up hope that the Whalers might return, someday…

6 Likes

Oh, and it makes a fantastic political foil in Appalachia.

2 Likes

It’s okay, nothing to see here. When these coal jobs fail to materialize and these miners are without any support at all because Repugnantcan lawmakers have also destroyed the social safety nets, there will plenty of blame to go around. Obama, HRC and Progressives are targets that come to mind. I have no sympathy for these fools and their willful ignorance. Let them eat coal.

2 Likes

Rick Perry suggests coal will prevent sex crimes. Praise be! Coal is light!

"But also from the standpoint of sexual assault,” Perry said. “When the lights are on, when you have light that shines, the righteousness, if you will on those types of acts.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/358386-rick-perry-fossil-fuels-will-help-prevent-sexual-assault

What a load of BS

16 Likes