In new video, Schwarzenegger mocks Trump about saving coal: "What's next...Blockbuster?"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/in-new-video-schwarzenegger-m.html

10 Likes

Great video. Who is the target audience? I mean, it’s not like Trump would respond with anything but anger and deepened resolve if he actually saw it.

12 Likes

Arnold Schwarzenegger is “the thinking man’s former-Celebrity Apprentice host/1980s-celebrity-turned-Republican-politician-who-has-a-troubling-history-of-sexual-assault-allegations.”

35 Likes

“As a businessman, you have to admit that it absolutely makes no sense to go through all this effort to keep a failing business afloat,” he says.

uhh, maybe you haven’t checked in to how ran his OTHER businesses, Arnie. this is standard operating procedure for him. #WINNING

12 Likes

Ah-nuld should beware; Trump might decide to rescind his citizenship.

4 Likes

Arnie may not be perfect, but I admire him for trying to get the message out.

I really hope that his celebrity status gets this in front of some of those people who wouldn’t otherwise get such a message due to their filter bubble.

That’s the important bit here. Thanks Arnie!

19 Likes

I love terminators*, always have.

*certain models excluded

6 Likes

Who cares about coal? He got the coal miners’ votes - fuck’em.

12 Likes

I think the audience for this is one of the critically important groups who have to be won over to comprehensively defeat Trumpism.

Did you notice how Mr. Schwartzenegger didn’t use any profanity whatsoever? That’s a key point right there; Trump opponents could stand to learn that lesson. And he didn’t say that businessmen shouldn’t run America, or that development is bad, instead he pointed out that President Trump is not following the principles of good business and is hindering development.

6 Likes

I’m afraid he already alienated a lot of Trump supporters with his “don’t hang out with Nazis” video.

13 Likes

What does it say about our current state of affairs (no pun intended here), that Arnold Schwarzenegger is the voice of reason and intelligent, considerate thought?

15 Likes

Trump promised to bring back coal because that’s what the voters of those states wanted to hear. Obama or Hillary or Bernie telling them they would get them another job was met with disinterest. Part of that is they typically hate Democrats as a matter of course, so all it took was Trump giving them a promise he didn’t really have any way of delivering. If you want to bring back coal you have to create a new market for coal, and nobody wants to use coal (with certain exceptions like China.) The price of coal crashed years ago, and coal jobs have been in steady decline for decades.

(Source)

3 Likes

The crazy thing is that there are even enough voters invested in the coal industry to make them a special interest worth pandering to. As has been previously noted, the entire American coal industry employs fewer people than Arby’s.

7 Likes

Well, at least he bleeped it, you know? But yeah, his performance has been spotty to date.

It seems to me that he’s showing old-school conservatives a model for belief that is antithetical to Trumpism without becoming what those folks would call “liberal”. That’s important.

2 Likes

SAVE ARBY’S!! Because saving Arby’s also helps our antacid and heartburn medication industries.

4 Likes

Those voters told me that there was only one candidate who visited the PA coal towns and told the people there that he wanted their votes, so he was the one they voted for. This is a straight up quote: “at least he cared enough about our votes to lie to us.”

I don’t honestly know exactly how it went down outside of PA, but I’d be unsurprised to hear the same sentiments in the TN and WV coal counties.

6 Likes

He mentioned Beanie Babies but what he didn’t say was a pointless industry to rescue is Pogs. That should tell us all something.

Do I hear “comeback”?

8 Likes

I like what Arnold is trying to do with these videos, I just don’t think appeals to reason and decency are likely to get through to anyone who has stood by Trump this long.

9 Likes

I don’t think Trump’s hard-core supporters will change their minds. But mocking Trump is always a good idea, imho.

2 Likes

Also, how are these people that hell-bent on mining coal for a living? Everything I have heard about coal mining makes it seem dark, dangerous, toxic, and just generally shitty. Hooray for black lung and cave-ins, I guess?

4 Likes