Trump under investigation for violating the US Espionage Act, obstruction of justice, and destroying federal government records

The theory of the crime suggests that Trump liked to read things in the White House residence, which meant that the things he read there became instantly declassified–(because the residence is not a SCIF). And he retained some of these magically declassified documents when he left office. And Joe Biden could choose to magically reclassify these same documents if only he knew of their existence.

Magic!

18 Likes

It requires the sound of one hand clapping while a tree falls in a forest.

17 Likes

29 Likes

just tell him Obama classified it.

I absolutely cannot fathom how anyone as easily manipulated as him made it near the levers of power.

10 Likes

That’s quite a belief – institutionalized carelessness – one that appears to be conveniently unchallenged, or even posited for discussion. It seems the people who can change this are the very people who may not want to have their own backgrounds checked. Hell, even the janitors who maintain our offices have security clearances.

BTW: I’ve always voted for officials who’ve promoted liberal causes and offered policies that made sense to me, yet for the greatest part I never trusted those officials; I’ve only hoped I made the right choice.

17 Likes

The problem is that background checks could be manipulated to exclude candidates with certain beliefs or affiliations, resulting in something similar to the way that candidates are screened for loyalty in Iran or Hong Kong.

7 Likes
13 Likes

Trumps position of the moment

10 Likes

I suspect you’ve answered your own question. I don’t imagine we’ve concretely identified all the manipulators – but I do imagine it doesn’t take a lot of effort, beyond gaining physical proximity to him.

5 Likes

The alternative is a real “deep state” that can veto its own elected overseers by denying them security clearances

SEE ALSO: Indiana cops arrested man to stop him running for political office | Boing Boing

11 Likes

There are almost always alternatives. One can accept an alternative system that makes no sense since it cannot be reviewed, metered, and controlled… or one can accept an alternative a system that can be ultimately reviewed, or metered or controlled.

SEE ALSO: Indiana cops arrested man to stop him running for political office | Boing Boing

We knew this was coming:

20 Likes

Of course, he could be lying and correct at the same time.

We already know the Kremlin almost certainly has these documents. The raids weren’t to stop that, but to find out what they have and who to lock up for giving it to them.
And also: that host most certainly doesn’t know any more than we do about it, and probably knows less. When he intimates that he has some special knowledge about what happened, he’s lying. Which is, to be fair, his job and he will be arrested and disappeared if he were to stop.

21 Likes

You do have a system that can be reviewed, metered and controlled. It’s called elections.

According to the standard theory, the ultimate judge of your President is the US electorate.

Don’t think he can be trusted with national security? Don’t vote for him.

Don’t like the people he surrounds himself with? Don’t vote for him.

Don’t like the nepotism? Don’t vote for him.

The list goes on and on.

If people do vote for him anyway, then clearly they are fine with all that.

That may indicate a fundamental problem with democracy but until we have a better alternative we’re stuck with the prospect that lots of people are willing to vote for “the wrong candidate”.

6 Likes

A vote of no confidence process would be a nice tool.

17 Likes

The presidential election process suffers from the electoral college which elected Trump through a minority of votes. The electoral college continues because those who would vote for people who would remove it are disenfranchised through various voter supression techniques.

20 Likes

Not everything works like that. Don’t like the quartering of soldiers in your home? Well, good news, your neighbors don’t get to vote for that because the third amendment says it’s not allowed, and so things will be done to stop it. I’m not sure this kind of violation needs to be so different.

10 Likes

It would probably inspire the Republicans to try to have one daily while the opposition is in power though.

2 Likes

Apparently, third amendment jurisprudence is so obscure that there’s only one major case that deals with it.

Those redcoats are protected by qualified immunity!

4 Likes

In the recently closed thread on the Mar-a-Lago raid, people were fretting about Biden pardoning Trump if he’s convicted on anything. I’d like to remind everyone that there’s no real reason to assume that would ever happen, and plenty of reasons why it wouldn’t.

Don’t give in to pre-emptive despair, please.

18 Likes