Trump won't sign social media “Christchurch call to action” to fight online extremism

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/15/trump-wont-sign-social-media.html

Why would he?

4 Likes

Figures.

6 Likes

Donald Trump’s administration refuses to sign an international commitment to fight extremism online, citing concerns with free speech.

Narrator: they’re not worried about free speech.

23 Likes

White House said… "Further, we maintain that the best tool to defeat terrorist speech is productive speech…"

And if you’re a dissident (e.g., Jamal Khashoggi), then “productive speech” means giving the order to assassinate whoever disses totalitarian states.

14 Likes

Of course Trump can’t sign a symbolic condemnation that doesn’t actually bind him to any action. I mean, what if Trump signed it but then ended up not doing anything about it? That could end up being Trump’s 10787th lie in office. That’s a dangerous precedent.

19 Likes

It’s because we’re talking about white supremacist hate speech… of course he’s not going to sign it.

15 Likes

Why would he attack his own base?

Besides, dead kids are great for the lulz.

10 Likes

Sounds like another dog whistle to me

5 Likes

That’s a dangerous President, too.

18 Likes

Because he is a neo-nazi. How hard is that for people to understand?

18 Likes

I’d be fine with some kind of Grand Moff Tarkin “Sign it? In our moment of triumph?” explosive demise.

7 Likes

Let’s avoid using racist stereotypes to label racists, please. There are so many other options!

11 Likes

He’s very concerned about free speech for right wing extremists, but very eager to “open up the libel laws” when anyone says anything bad about him.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Also in the news - a headline unthinkable at any point in the last 50 years.
Merkel: Europe must unite to stand up to China, Russia and US

15 Likes

You mean the guy who was made president because of online extremism won’t sign a pledge to fight online extremism?

17 Likes

Trump is a Neo-Nazi, minus the neo part.

6 Likes

We continue to be proactive in our efforts to counter terrorist content online while also continuing to respect freedom of expression and freedom of the press

Also known as the, “Some of my best friends are nationalist terrorists” play.

6 Likes

Oh, I finally have the opportunity to past the XKCD cartoon and I don’t actually know how.

1 Like

Gotta coddle those Nazi voters.

2 Likes