Trump's budget eliminates Arts and Humanities Endowments, privatizes public broadcasting

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/20/trumps-budget-eliminates-art.html

6 Likes

Your citation link is bad
Here is a good one
Trump team prepares dramatic cuts (The Hill)

6 Likes

“Waste like the [NEA] and [NEH]”

This makes me so sad. I’m not going to say anything snarky here.

31 Likes

What percentage of the annual budget do these programs make up?

18 Likes

TOTALLY enough to make up for all the tax cuts.

Don’t worry your pretty little head about it, citizen.

20 Likes

Next to nothing compared to Defense cause BOMBERS!

13 Likes

I’d like to say what I think of a man, and an administration, who think that educating children (and grownups too) on topics from reading and writing to the natural world to Shakespeare and music is “a waste” that isn’t worth funding. But that risks a blowup far, far worse than my last one and I’m gonna need this place to help keep my sanity over the next four years so I don’t want to risk the ban.

So I’ll just leave these here:

Signed, someone who grew up with Sesame Street, Nature, and Masterpiece Theatre (etc.), and considers herself much better off because of it.

Eta: …even if I can’t find my words to articulate the shock and dismay I’m feeling right now.

64 Likes

The NEA is something like 0.004%. It’s very tiny. I think it works out to something like 50 cents per American every year.

Trump’s just getting started though. Remember, he plans to cut $10 trillion.

23 Likes

The NEA has an operating budget of 146,000,000 dollars according to Wiki.

The federal budget is 3,800,000,000,000 dollars.

So 0.0038421052632 percent? (Edited to move a decimal)

Meanwhile Trump’s inauguration is supposed to cost at least 200,000,000 bucks.

Blaaaaarg

39 Likes

“At the Department of Justice, the blueprint calls for eliminating the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, Violence Against Women Grants and the Legal Services Corporation and for reducing funding for its Civil Rights and its Environment and Natural Resources divisions.”

…it just keeps getting worse. Funny (read: depressing) how the cuts happen to screw women and poor people left and right.

26 Likes

The NEA annual budget is approximately 0.0039% of federal spending.

Providing security for Trump Tower costs about twice that.

27 Likes

PM of Japan (Abe) did something similar

4 Likes

With or without the in-his-pockets padding?

8 Likes
11 Likes

But don’t you know? All those empty positions will create more jobs!
[/sarcasm]

Edited to fix mock html tag, which disappeared when posted.

10 Likes

He’ll get the reduction in federal jobs he wants because nobody wants to work with him.

16 Likes

I’m always a little worried about these sorts of protest resignations since they can mean fewer good (or at least like-minded) people in positions of influence.

15 Likes

“This is certainly not the first time a repressive regime has used government powers to try to eliminate degenerate art.”

“eliminating art” <> “not subsidizing artists with tax money”

The Nazis provided government stipends to artists that they liked. Much as our current government does. I’m in favor of stopping that practice. Even if it’s Trump doing it.

2 Likes

Sigh. Really?

3 Likes

So: you’re in favor of art not benefiting from any part of the federal budget.

Noted.

21 Likes