Trump's campaign forgot to buy the domain for his "Keep America Great" slogan. Now Biden owns it.

I was wondering why trump didn’t continue to push “Keep America Great”. What a bunch of dopes.

They also built a system that relies a lot on courts, which move orders of magnitude slower than other branches. Trump could break laws every day and it doesn’t matter because they can stall the legal processes for a decade, which is what they are doing.

Though, the root of the problem is arguably that the Justice Department has decided the President is above the law. An utterly baffling policy that speaks to what you said about the checks being unwilling. Any civilian doing what Trump has done in plain sight with mountains of evidence would have been arrested ten times over by now.

8 Likes

The two party system is the root of the vast majority of problems.

It is a system which has created this strange, jingoist, political system where there are only two teams and folks just root for their team no matter the cost.

It is a system that has limited choice to the point where most people aren’t voting for what they support, but for the least distasteful of two choices.

It is a system where the two parties have amassed so much financial power that they can literally shut out any other parties attempting to affect change.

It is a system where the party in power rarely needs to compromise, as opposed to systems with large amounts of choice where coalition governments must be formed, meeting the needs and desires of people other than simply themselves.

Trump is the pinnacle of the two party system. We’ve been building towards him for over 240 years.

13 Likes

Touche. But the problem with Trump supporters isn’t literacy. It’s what they choose to read/not read. Here’s an opportunity to change that.

It cuts down on the pool of money that is moved from non-competitive districts to competitive districts. That would still be possible using bundling even if you just restricted it to natural born. If nothing else, it would reduce political money and the resultant advertising spam around election time.

I’m also partial to the idea that you can only raise money while in the district (but mandate a minimum number of days in Washington). Congressmen and Senators spend a huge amount of their time in Washington on the phone raising money. Even they hate it. It would give a slight advantage to challengers and give legislators breathing room to maybe do their job.

Amazing analysis. Everytime I read stuff about how the house has subpoenaed so and so from the administration, or is investigating some wrong doing, WTF will come of it?!
SO NUMB

Speaking as a D.C. resident, FUCK EVERY INCH OF THAT SHIT.

You can have my right to donate money to the Democratic opponents of the shit-for-brains Republicans in competitive districts who make policy for the place where I live despite my complete lack of legislative representation when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

5 Likes

But who has keepamericagreat.xxx?

Sometimes playing domain wars isn’t worth the bother.

https://www.namedroppers.com/b/q?adv=0&k=keepamericagreat&x=19&y=30&exclude=&order=0&min=1&max=63&com=1&net=1&org=1&edu=1&biz=1&us=1&info=1&name=1

i hope Biden’s team can come up with a slogan that’s better than “Build Back Better,” because that’s another terrible slogan.

3 Likes

If it solved our problems, I’d still be willing to screw over DC residents such as yourself. But how do you feel about becoming a resident of Maryland or Virginia? Whether by moving the border or by voting rights only. I think a lot of people are leery of making DC a state, but could be just fine with a Gordian knot cut of a different sort.

Spoken like a true Republican!

D.C. is a different place from Maryland (or Virginia), with different problems and different means of solving them. Retrocession (which would be retrocession to Maryland; Virginia already got its chunk back) is not an acceptable solution.

D.C. residents are majority-minority (unlike Maryland); far more unified politically (unlike Maryland, which has a Republican governor); and, oh, by the way, have been without representation for 244 years and counting (unlike Maryland).

Oh, also, we run a budget surplus, unlike Maryland.

All it takes for D.C. to become a state–which, at least for the foreseeable future, means two more Democratic senators and another Democratic representative–is Democratic majorities in both houses and a Democratic president, plus the political will to GET IT THE FUCK DONE.

6 Likes

Hard to do while cleaning AK-47s and sewing up pointy hoods.

1 Like

I doubt that would change much. At the moment, there’s two sides that think they know exactly what the constitution means to say, and they both claim it means different things mostly, so it’s not the system of government (which was a good idea 200 years ago), but also the lack of a shared mental model a functioning government can be derived from.

Take a look at more modern constitutions, you would find that some of them actually start with the people and their rights, and derive the rest from there.

2 Likes

Yeah, very disappointed in the follow-through. Wasted opportunity.

It’s like they found a way to Rick-roll the right wing, and instead of the destination video being funny, engaging, and great meme material, they played an afterschool special on how to stay off drugs, kids.

6 Likes

Can you imagine someone explaining the rules of ordinary 2d chess to Trump?

[Eddie is trying to teach Richie how to play chess]

Richie:
Right, let me get this sorted out. Now the bent vicar stands next to the queen. And the queen goes in every direction.

Eddie:
That’s right.

Richie:
[looking disgusted] And they let children play this, you say? I mean, it’s pretty strong stuff, isn’t it Eddie? You know, knights taking prawns? And apparently, if a prawn goes all the way he turns into a queen!

Culture, Bottom Series 2

5 Likes

Another way to handle that would be to have a rule that no congress person (or president) can be a candidate while serving in an elected position (with a 1 year waiting time after leaving office before they are eligible to run for office again, to prevent someone resigning in the Summer to run again that Fall) nor may they do any sort of political fund-raising of any kind while currently serving in office. That would take the pressure off. They would have a whole Term once they are out of office to raise money for their next term.

1 Like

If we’re going to be throwing around new states, Puerto Rico is way, way overdue for state-hood. Or Independence if that’s what they prefer. The whole “Territory” thing has really not been working out well for them. They have been getting fucked over for far too long.

11 Likes

Also, a majority-Spanish-speaking state would throw the Derp Crew into a tizzy.

4 Likes

It would end like this:

17 Likes

Exactly. He doesn’t hire people for competence though or independent initiative. He (and his family) hires them for loyalty and sycophanty and the results are as witnessed.

2 Likes