Trump's Consumer Finance Protection Board chief gives up on punishing Equifax for doxing the entire United States of America

At this point, I think our Senators and Congress people should be getting an earful from the public to pressure the CFPB in to action.

I’m particularly galled because I was hit with an identity theft attack that I can reasonably attribute to the Equifax breach. They targeted banks I had accounts with, and nearly succeeded in account takeovers. Their rapid-fire contacting of these banks suggests they were working from a credit report/file, and not randomly calling banks. That attack cost me dozens of hours to address, multiplied by tens of thousands of people who will have to do the same… And Equifax skates? That’s nuts.

In case it helps anyone, I did a write-up of things people can do to reduce the effectiveness of their pending identity theft. I say pending, because the scammers are only getting started in their efforts to monetize that exfiltrated data. You could be next.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.