Trump's coronavirus travel ban conveniently exempts all of his European resorts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/13/trumps-coronavirus-travel-ba.html

5 Likes

One of the reasons we’ve had a centuries-long tradition of Presidents divesting themselves of their private business ventures upon taking office is so no one has to wonder if such decisions are made for private business reasons.

37 Likes

He also exempted all of GB regardless their exploding Covid-19 infection rates, lack of government response, and that BoJo has been exposed. Nice move!

11 Likes

21 Likes

ScarceNewDromaeosaur-small

I am going to run out of gifs if this shit continues.

11 Likes

Bif is a disease vector.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I mean yeah, the asshole will always assume that Rich White People are free of disease, and that all non-rich brown people are contaminated. This time, it just worked out conveniently for his properties.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Presumably, the argument in favor of blocking travel to that part of Europe has to do more with open borders

Except that the UK has more cases than most of the countries in the designated area. But Trump being Trump, looking for any kind of logic, even the self-serving kind, is at least somewhat futile. His primary motivator may have to do with simply punishing the EU (moderated by his not knowing Ireland isn’t part of the UK and/or having one of his golf courses in it).

7 Likes

“Presumably, the argument in favor of blocking travel to that part of Europe has to do more with open borders”
I may be missing something but when I read about this travel ban I didn’t see anything saying that Americans are barred from traveling TO the restricted areas, just that foreign nationals are banned from traveling to the US FROM those areas.
"U.S. citizens and residents traveling from Europe’s visa-free “Schengen Area” will still be allowed to enter the U.S. But Acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf says entry will be restricted to “select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”
The above is from this NPR article:

But again, maybe I missed something.

2 Likes

I hope you guys are banning travel from Washington state, because the rate there is awful. I wouldn’t be happy to meet someone from there.

But then we are heading towards a full lock down. Just picked up my copy of Pandemic and
The new Hillary Mantel from work. I don’t expect to be there again for weeks. Government said 2 weeks but it surely will be longer.

And yes, the orange shit did think Ireland was part of the UK during the week. Not that it offends me beyond the way it offends me that the US is run by a gibbering idiot. A gibbering, racist, sexist shitshow of an idiot.

8 Likes

This is the first time I’ve seen the tacticool camo MAGA hats. I’m not sure what their purpose is, except maybe to identify anyone who isn’t a veteran.

They would make good toilet paper, but they are probably too cheap. They make better nightmare fuel.

11 Likes

“Google, Apple, Facebook, PayPal, Microsoft, Yahoo, eBay, AOL, Twitter, Intel, Pfizer, Boston Scientific and Johnson & Johnson”.

Among many other companies who, I suspect, contributed generously to US politicians.

6 Likes

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

10 Likes

What a garbage article. People are dying left and right and this is the contribution you put forward? #TDS

1 Like

The only ”derangement” here is the idea that inaction from the Trump administration has somehow not resulted in the situation being worse.

21 Likes

Hey look, we’ve got our own Florida Man!

8 Likes

6 Likes

Great hot take

5 Likes