Europe bans travelers from US over Covid fears

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/30/europe-bans-travelers-from-us.html

4 Likes

cxm1b19rndy41

30 Likes

… Where science is a personal belief system.

14 Likes

A provision which makes perfect sense to us stuck inside the combined plague ship and bedlam

5 Likes

American travel to Europe may be halted, but the U.S.'s journey to basket-case banana republic status continues onward.

27 Likes

So. Much. Winning.

16 Likes

If a country has lower infection rates than the one you are leaving perhaps you should consider not going for their sake?
if it has a higher rate perhaps you should consider not going for the sake of where you are leaving and returning from?

Political row here as the chief medical officer said you shouldn’t go on holiday and you should cancel. Almost our entire infection yesterday was a cluster from travel.

5 Likes

Who’s a shithole country now??

Kudos btw for including the “will be reviewed every two weeks” part, which I’d been looking for everywhere (planning a trip in December). I guess this’ll mean a couple months of “EU renews ban” news stories.

11 Likes

I think we have a new saying:

Look out or we’ll trump you back to the stone age.

4 Likes

Perhaps there is room for compromise.

7 Likes

Oh boy, I hope we don’t get bombed now.

1 Like

That’s rather more to review downwards, two weeks is enough time to change your mind and go “nope. Not there any more” but not enough to decide to open up. So there were worries that Portugal wouldn’t be on the list for example.

Canada has kept the border closed this entire time for the same reason. America can’t get its shit together. They’ve extended the border closure twice, and there’s no reason to believe it won’t continue through the fall at this point. Travel into Canada is reopened from virtually every country except the U.S, eh.

8 Likes
5 Likes

As a Canadian, I hope so. But, hey, Americans, you can still go to Brazil. I hear they even have a similar leader!

1 Like

I think historically that was known as the “Ship of Fools”.

As a Canadian trapped down here unable to go home to my family, your funny funny joke is less funny.

7 Likes

1 Like

This could be posted in a number of threads. The “freedom from/freedom of” explanation has a lot of truthiness.

“For the Greeks, “idiot” carried a precise and special meaning. The person who was only interested in private life, private gain, private advantage. Who had no conception of a public good, common wealth, shared interest. To the Greeks, the pioneers of democracy, the creators of the demos, such a person was the most contemptible of all. Because even the Greeks seemed to understand: you can’t make a functioning democracy out of…idiots.”

ETA to add quote from article.

5 Likes