Trump's ghostwriter prediction: Trump is going to resign

Yes, I know where you’re going with that as far as Trump.

I’d think that declaring a commitment to military action against a nation (ex: US declaring war on Nazi Germany) would amount to “war”, in which case Congress would have to approve it, while anti-terrorist action would be of relatively limited scope, focusing (hopefully) only on terrorists (ex: taking out Osama bin Laden, and the ongoing use of drones to eliminate terrorist leaders, etc.) Two situations.One requiring case-by-case approval, the other given a blank check.

Now, I wouldn’t put it past Trump, in an attempt to distract the American public and gain support by posing as a strong leader, to at least attempt to mount some military action to address threats from, say, North Korea. But I don’t see Congress allowing that since 1) NK has not attacked us, and 2) NK’s threats are not terrorist acts, and I don’t currently envision this Congress seeing it otherwise especially since even some in the GOP and the US military have voiced ‘diplomacy first’.

Yes, there’s the fear that Trump could try to get a toe in somewhere using the ‘terrorist’ angle then work toward escalation, or even go so far as to create a “Remember the Maine!” incident as rationale for going to war. But then there’s the real likelihood of that on top of the likelihood of Congress just going along. I think the likelihood of both converging together is low…

… still…and I have to say it again… the Dems taking back control of the congress.That would be the best way to address all of the above along with our domestic issues and Russian interference.That would pull Trump’s teeth and add real bite to efforts in forcing him out of office.

I agree with your rational, reality based, non-hyperbolic breakdown of the moving pieces, and what we can do about the reality of the situation.

1 Like

The overwhelming majority of the US’s wars were not declared.

The music on that is irritating, but it’s worth watching. Jump to 1:30 to skip the intro, jump to 7:50 for just the most important bit.

Both the Korean and Vietnam wars were “police actions”. If Trump wants to attack somewhere, he’ll attack somewhere.

I agree that Trump is powerless with a fully opposed Congress. But see my posts upthread on the obstacles facing that task.

If you have a plan to overcome the corruption of electoral administration (as currently expressed via voter suppression, gerrymandering, racially targeted voter roll purges, etc, and rapidly escalating), that is a wonderful thing and I’ll cheer you on every step of the way.

But you do need to have a plan.

1 Like

“In four short years, he met his every goal
He seized the whole southwest from Mexico
Made sure the tariffs fell
And made the English sell the Oregon territory
He built an independent treasury
Having done all this he sought no second term
But precious few have mourned the passing of
Mister James K. Polk, our eleventh president
Young Hickory, Napoleon of the Stump.”

“James K. Polk”
— John and John, TMBG

For the song “Donald J. Trump,” the last verse goes:

“In two short years, he met his every goal.
He railed about that Wall and Mexico.
Made sure his riches swelled
Made sure the country fell
Into hatred and misery
Bankrupted our own Treasury
Having done all that, he walked out on his term.
But precious few have mourned the passing of
Mr. Donald J Trump, our 45th President
Old Vanity, Napoleon would-be Trump.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.