Trump's ghostwriter prediction: Trump is going to resign

He has never been exposed like this. He could bullshit during the campaign, but not anymore, plus his crimes and devotion to Putin have been exposed.

It didn’t work out well for the country that Ford pardoned Nixon. It was catastrophic. You have to hold criminals accountable. Hopefully the next guy (Pence or Ryan or Hatch) remembers what it cost Ford.

1 Like

We’re already stuck with him, though. And at this point—actually as of 2000, maybe even earlier—anticipating a rational/reasonable response out of Trump is wishful thinking, regardless. There is nothing there in Trump’s skull which can be reasoned with, publicly or otherwise.

So Gore may as well say what he likes.

3 Likes

So what is your plan for overcoming the fascist control of electoral administration in the majority of states?

2 Likes

He could turn that into a permanent Las Vegas show.
No travel required. Excellent golfing facilities.
Big crowd of fans cheering him every day.
Twice on sundays, If he is up to doing matinees.

2 Likes

That’s my favourite timeline!

5 Likes

You are likely right. However, isn’t the problem here that the POTUS has considerable freedom to command the military on his own, and the Congress has very few ways to quickly intervene or contradict him – and by the time they do, US may already be embroiled in some horrible mess.

1 Like

4 Likes

The GOP has been clearly flagging for years that they have absolutely no intention of administering fair elections. They don’t view the votes of black people as legitimate.

2 Likes

If there really had been no manipulation or issues with the voting process, then the Republicans could have easily let the recounts in selected states go ahead, and find themselves proven right.

But they shut the process down in a heartbeat.

Why? Unless there’s something they are aware of that they don’t want the rest of us to know…

I know that’s bordering on conspiracy theory, and I don’t care. I wouldn’t put it past the Republicans to have cooked the books in one way or another. And I say this as a Michiganian-- I would like to know that my vote did count for something. Now I never will.

Because they could. They shouldn’t be able to. But Michigan has passed it’s own laws. There is some work to se done?

There is a part of the GOP that seems to choose action (not so much policy, just day to day behavior) based on ‘how can I upset someone who values fair play, today?’

Yes.

…I could keep that going for pages, but you get the idea. A key sentence from the last link:

4 Likes

Somewhere on an old thread I predicted he’d resign, though I thought he would use some invented “health concern” to do it and lament how the country wouldn’t get to benefit from him still being the best President ever. Not exactly “declaring victory” but close.

1 Like

I was using Slate links because they Onebox reliably, and because I was emphasising that this is a small sample of a vast collection.

For a bit more diversity:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/opinion/five-ways-republicans-are-threatening-voting-rights.html

http://www.alternet.org/election-03918/white-supremacists-dont-think-they-have-power-look-voting-laws-states-they-come

YMMV, but I personally feel that the GOP intention to distort the electoral process to whatever degree is necessary to retain power is so blatantly clear that it requires wilful blindness to deny it.

4 Likes

I’m not an expert on advanced pundit horology; but I think “some point over the next period of time” is approximately 1.5 Friedman units into the future. Give or take.

1 Like

You have a good point regarding the president’s power to command the use of military force. I’m certainly no expert on that, but this might help:

See also:

A free pass to attack anyone, anywhere, using any means, so long as they make an unverified claim that it is somehow connected to terrorism.

Obvious flaw: impeaching Pence first means that Trump still gets to appoint the person who will replace him.

I wonder if he can count on Pence pardoning him.

I see those statements as closely equivalent.

The GOP is a fascist party, and they will use their control of the electoral process to whatever degree is necessary to retain power. An election in which the result is decided by disenfranchisement, intimidation, voter suppression and gerrymandering is a fraudulent election.

That is how elections are stolen. You don’t need to falsify every vote, you just need to tilt the playing field sufficiently to swing the balance. In the USA, thanks to decentralised electoral administration and GOP dominance of state governments, that is very easy to do.

If you are planning on an electoral response to Trump, you need to have a solid plan for how you are going to overcome that increasingly extreme structural disadvantage. Winning the national PR contest is useless if the Black and Latino population of the Confederacy and the Midwest can’t vote in the required numbers.

But I’m happy to disengage. Feel free to ignore me.

1 Like