Even Fox wonders if Trump might drop out of November's presidential election

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/29/even-fox-wonders-if-trump-migh.html

6 Likes

Hoping bunker boy rage quits is wishful thinking. He’s likely to continue to act like a dickhead until noon on January 20th.

32 Likes

You’d think that by now they would understand that there’s no way to make the Donald learn or change behavior. Or admit he was wrong about anything, no matter how trivial. If you criticize him, he just doubles down. I mean, maybe they feel like they have to try anyway, but it does seem pretty futile.

18 Likes

I made that prediction the day he was elected. I said he’d be impeached but found not guilty, but later the economy would tank and he would be a recluse in the white house all summer of 2020, having given up hope of re-election, and that Paul Ryan would take over as nominee.

Didn’t look like there was a chance of that until Covid hit, now it’s back on the board.

9 Likes

I hate to break it to you, but he’s always been a dickhead and will forever be a dickhead. Hopefully he won’t be the USA’s dickhead for much longer.

14 Likes

It’s way too late for him to drop out of the Presidential race. The primaries are already over and there was no credible opposition. Like it or not the RNC is riding this pony all the way to November.

10 Likes

Really, I won’t hold it against him if he quits. He can quit today if he wants.

15 Likes

LBJ dropped out, so it’s not impossible.

10 Likes

The primaries are for convention delegates. There hasn’t been a convention yet. So it’s theoretically still possible. Plausible is a different matter. If nothing else, the probability is non-zero.

3 Likes

That was early in the primary season, not after. It was shocking, but it didn’t completely leave the democrats empty-handed (just mostly, esp. after the assassination of Kennedy).

3 Likes

The point is that there is no viable alternative at this point. As bad as Trump’s numbers are there isn’t anybody else in a position to take over the nomination.

Plus, 2016 showed us that the polls aren’t necessarily a reflection on who is going to win. The details matter, like getting more votes in areas that have disproportionately high voting power.

3 Likes

I’m hoping that he ‘quits’ by apoplexy when it becomes clear he has lost to Biden on November 3-4. Three months of a lame duck Pence is survivable.

15 Likes

He will definitely never admit he was wrong or failed or is in any way less than “tremendously great”. However, I there might be a scenario where he quits and declares victory. Basically like bankruptcy. I don’t really expect it and whatever situation causes it would probably be bad.

5 Likes

The fact that his quitting would inconvenience other people such as republican party leaders is about the only factor I don’t expect to keep him from resigning.

20 Likes

Wishful thinking indeed. Trump cares about Trump alone and keeping his brand the face of a winner. Pulling out of the race is the equivalent of a big fat ‘L’ on his record. Plus it leaves him vulnerable to legal troubles that would be glossed over from re-election (see Statute of Limitations). He may not have actually even wanted to achieve the Republican nomination in the first place, but now it’s his only way to truly keep his clout.

8 Likes

Hilarious that 3 years in, John Sununu is still telling Trump to stop being Trump. BTW the instant he’s no longer president a lot of district attorneys are going to want to talk with him.

17 Likes

Putin will not let him go until he’s able to further destabilize the country. That can last for a quite a while more

7 Likes

If Trump resigns I think he will blame the republican establishment for letting him down, so he might very well do it after the convention just to spite them. Après nous le déluge.

What happens if Trump get out at the last moment. Will Pence take over the candidacy assuming he is nominated for VP?

3 Likes

That’s one fat stupid pony. Serves them right.

8 Likes

This is what VP’s are for. Pence isn’t worth a bucket of warm spit. But you can bet they’d put him up as the candidate.

4 Likes