CNN political analyst says Trump will fire Pence on July 16, 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/03/cnn-political-analyst-says-tru.html

3 Likes
40 Likes

I think it is adorable that anyone believes Trump is capable of planning that far ahead.

88 Likes

Might want to check the definition of “prediction” there, Paul.

7 Likes

Is there something about 7/16? I knew he was being setup as the fall guy, but why that date?

1 Like

Suburban mom here (white, southern, stay at home mom in fact!) fixin’ to go to early voting tomorrow to vote for Bernie. Sorry Nikki, you can’t sit with us.

52 Likes

As seen in the OP.

24 Likes

Someone doesn’t understand the VP is elected… The dweeb-in-chief can’t fire him.

11 Likes

That is completely true. However, as we’ve seen, the rules only matter if there are people to hold the people breaking them accountable.

I, for one, welcome the the fireworks of any attempt to get Pence out of office. I don’t imagine he’ll step down.

7 Likes

They mean dropping him from the reelection ticket, perhaps ?

30 Likes

Trump can’t fire him as VP.

The Trump campaign can indeed fire him, simply by choosing someone else as running mate.

23 Likes

I think the Analyst is banking on July 16 being far enough in the future that nobody will remember he said this BS by the time the date comes and goes around.

8 Likes

I’ve been terrified of Trump dumping Pence for Haley ever since her book and idiotic Confederate flag comments made clear she was angling for it.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, honest I’m not, but I don’t think Democrats can beat that ticket. She’s an amoral monster, but she’s also an amoral monster who happens to be a fairly charismatic, young, and good looking woman of color, who would coincidentally love to be President.

I hope to jeebus this doesn’t happen and/or I’m wrong.

But he can play this exactly like the goddamn apprentice. He can hold a press conference where he makes the exact preamble he would make on TV about how he demands the best people around him, and Pence turns out not to be the best person, so he’s going to be replaced with Haley because she’s got the goods. I’d lay odds on whether he’d even include a “Mike…you’re fired” to end the conference. And his base would fucking LOOOOOOVE it.

16 Likes

If the VP resigns/dies/leaves office for some reason the President appoints a new one, subject to Senate approval.

Trump may not technically be able to directly fire him, but he can press Pence out and replace him pretty much whenever. It’s how we got Ford.

5 Likes

28 Likes

last day of the Democratic National Convention.

2 Likes

I like the “guarantee” part best.

Not a bad idea strategically. I wonder if his religious base would like Pence being dumped though?

And yeah, he can’t fire Pence, but he can bump him from the ticket. Pence serves 4 years, he’s not tied to Trump by any part of the Constitution. And he’d probably resign if Trump asked anyway. He would announce that he voluntarily doesn’t want to be part of the 2020 ticket, so the religious nuts don’t cry foul about Trump bouncing him.

7 Likes

On the other hand, he has to actually agree to go. We have had VP’s in the past who have had no active role in the government and kept almost entirely out of the public eye. Except for ceremonially presiding over the Senate (the Senate elects a president pro tempore for actual business) and breaking tie votes (irrelevant when the majority leader can keep a measure from coming to the floor), the VP has no constitutional duty when the President is alive and in possession of his faculties.

Trump would be within his constitutional powers to announce that Pence is no longer his running mate, and that Pence is relieved of any duties in the Executive Branch not mandated by Article 2 or the 25th Amendment. Why would he need to go further?

7 Likes

I’m tempted to lay a couple of bucks on this; what’s the over-under?

4 Likes

Has anyone told Nikki yet?

5 Likes