CNN political analyst says Trump will fire Pence on July 16, 2020

The cult has a new Messiah now.

16 Likes

VP “Moscow” Mitch. Sycophantic loyalty already demonstrated. Hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Mar-a-Lago, it should be noted, closes in the summer so any press conference would likely be held elsewhere.

What? Isn’t it a beach resort?

2 Likes

It is, in a part of Florida that feels like an armpit during the hottest part of the summer.

12 Likes

That someone is the headline writer. The prediction is that Trump will dump him from the ticket and put Haley on the day the democrat winner gives his/her acceptance speech, in order to disrupt things and win over soccer moms.

4 Likes

I will admit, the moment I saw the news that Pence was spearheading the COVID-19 efforts/communication, I thought, “Huh, I guess Trump’s done with him. I wonder if he realizes he can’t just fire the VP?” I hadn’t put it together that he could just change the ticket for his second run. This makes perfect sense to me.

3 Likes

No need to fire when he can just drop him from the ticket as pointed out several times.

1 Like

It’s your last point – his base would love it – that has me convinced. If Trump hadn’t thought of this already, he will now. Honestly, I would vote for Haley for the GOP nomination in a heartbeat instead of Trump, and I think she would be hard to beat on her own.

Oh, he’ll step down alright - he’s a good little soldier & will use the excuse that he “serves at the pleasure of the President”…

2 Likes

Trump won’t fire Pence, Pence will resign. Other than that, this seems like a highly likely scenario. I myself predicted the same just a few hours ago.

1 Like

I’d love for Mitch McConnell to leave the senate for VP. He could do much less damage there.

6 Likes

He really shouldn’t let his mother dress him.

7 Likes

This is what he means, and what a lot of people seem to actually expect, though it seems to me to be somewhat unlikely. I don’t think many people would really care, as Pence has little following of his own. It may be a little wishful thinking on the PoT’s part, since it might make some strategic sense, but in actuality the Trumpster as we know doesn’t really think that way. Consider his attempts to place people like Herman Cain to the Fed. Even the Republicans weren’t impressed by that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if these rumors didn’t have some behind-the-scenes maneuvering behind them (i.e, there are people who want Pence to go and someone better be put in his place, esp. if Trump seems unable to actually complete his second term).

5 Likes

Pence is quite ambitious. This would be a recipe for a 25th Amendment situation.

Pence: “Funny that you say that, because, actually, you’re the one that’s fired.”

ETA: That’s a good plan for the Dems to implement, come to think of it.

Here’s a map of that part of Florida:

The armpit part is highlighted in yellow.

28 Likes

Not if Biden picks her first!

1 Like

Trump will not fire Pence on a Thursday.

It is too tough a day in the TV ratings.

1 Like

[Remembers Cheney/Bush…] :cold_sweat:

I mean, it’s not like 45 is subject to influence by anyone close enough to whisper in his ear.

3 Likes

I would imagine some of the establishment republicans would definitely flinch if Pence was replaced. Of course they’d continue to tow the part line, but there would probably be some rabble rousing. Not that 45 cares though.

As much as a nice birthday gift this might be I feel like this guys prediction is a little too specific.

I dunno, man. Pence can be as ambitions as he wants, but he has no base outside some turds in Indiana, no political capital in the Senate, and zero charisma. IMO, the possibility of a 25A solution has long since come and gone given Trump’s absolute and unchallenged ownership of the GOP.

I look at the glee his base takes in Trump turning on traitors who took a shot at the king and missed, and I think they would get nothing but pleasure to watch Trump mock Pence as a dead fish he was saddled with by Washington insiders, how he never got good ratings, and now he’s going to pick someone who can really get things done. And you know who I think would eat it up the most? So-called Evangelicals. They’d fucking bust.

8 Likes

Pence gave him some evangelical cred at the beginning, but it’s clear they’re all-in on Trump; it’s a Trump cult now and Pence is totally superfluous. Plus, I think you’re totally right in that this would be presented as a “voluntary” drop from the reelection ticket, not getting pushed (just like all the other advisors and cabinet members Trump got rid of).

I think Pence fully recognizes he’s nothing without Trump, though, as demonstrated by his servile toadying. He was useful for giving evangelicals an excuse to accept Trump at the beginning, but now he’s long outlived his purpose. Pence has no support, not even (especially) in his home state, and only managed to remain in politics because he was willing to whore himself out to Trump.

7 Likes