Trump's government denying passports to some Americans born near U.S.-Mexico border: WaPo

Ha, as if that’s what you’re trying to do.

unless you are driving trollies me

Ha, as if that’s not what you’re doing.

9 Likes

What’s that old poem?

Something like:

First they came for the undocumented immigrants, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not an undocumented immigrant.

Then they came for the immigrants, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not an immigrant.

Then they came for the Latino Citizens, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a Latino Citizen.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

or something like that right?
(with apologies to Martin Niemöller)

8 Likes

you sound like you’re being sarcastic, and yet you’re completely correct.

children were held in some of these same detention centers in 2014.

and context is everything.

in 2014 children were showing up at the border unaccompanied. the then administration sheltered them and tried as quickly as possible to make things better for the kids.

in 2018 children were forcibly separated from their parents. parents were deported or placed in jail. kids were unnecessarily put into detention. paperwork was “lost” and hundreds of kids and parents are still separated.

you sound sarcastic. but you’re right. the devil is in the actual facts. not false equivalency.

17 Likes

Article 15 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights covers it, but doesn’t provide any type of mechanism for recourse. Even if it did, nothing tells me that this country would honor treaty obligations to uphold human rights.

4 Likes

What do I think is happening at our kiddie concentration camps? How about beatings, racial abuse, and physical restraints https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/21/abused-immigrant-children-allege-mistreatment-detention-center/720773002/

Do you know that whoever handled your delivery paperwork has no history of fraud? Should your citizenship hinge on that?

11 Likes

Stop blaming Obama for policies of THIS president. “Obama did it” is about the level of kindergarten excuses for racist and shitty behavior. Stop making excuses because it’s “your guy.” I sure as shit did not make excuses when Obama did this VERY SAME SHIT.

Did you not realize what is happening to your fellow human beings. Families are still separated, there are new reports of child sexual abuse, people are being brutalized and dehumanized. “Obama did it” is not a fucking excuse.

michael-jordan-stopit-help

Concentrate camps are NOT unique to the Nazis and you know that. The british did it, the US did it, it happened in the wars in Yugoslavia. Concentrate camps are meant to round up, usually specific groups of individuals. They are not always death camps, but it doesn’t mean it’s not a human rights violation, especially when the people in question have not broken any laws. These were often people who were coming here, seeking asylum (not crossing the border, but asking for asylum AT the border), and getting their kids taking from them and thrown in jail.

1, 224 complaints. How many haven’t complained?

Do you have any idea how many midwives work in that area? Should we just lock up all midwives preventantively, in case they are maybe committing crimes?

Exactly! False equivalencies are false. Thanks for pointing that out, since a context free discussion gets us no where fast.

14 Likes

This whole issue is about particular midwives who have been convicted of fraud, and determining which of their issued certificates are in fact, legal. Nobody is just locking all the midwives up, or invalidating all certificates signed by midwives. If your midwife has admitted to issuing fraudulent certificates, you might be asked to provide additional documentation.

Neither 2014 or 2018 were simple circumstances. Both situations are about authorities trying to do the best they can, with the resources available, under the then current laws.
The same people complaining that kids are being kept in custody when their parents or relatives are being vetted would call child protective services if they saw my kid playing alone in the park.

I don’t think I am. But it is silly to blame Trump for events that actually occurred before he was elected. And he is not “my guy”. I did not vote for him.

Context. When someone in 1930 used the term, they meant a literal place where people were concentrated, sometimes for their own protection.
If you say “concentration camp” today, you mean the Nazi type. Certainly anyone hearing it would assume that.

Or denied a passport despite living in America all your life, honorably serving your country, etc, etc.

WE ARE BLAMING HIM FOR WHAT HE IS DOING NOW.

No. We’re not.

14 Likes

Pick an acceptable name for 1. separating children from their parents, 2. placing all said children into a secured facility where they are guarded and not allowed to see anyone from outside, including in some cases, their own attorney, 3. where some of the guards are abusive, some inmates children are abusive to others, and children have committed suicide, 4. where courts have required the children to be released or reunited with their parents, and those orders have been ignored.

Some options:

• Concentration Camps
  • Internment Camps
  • Gulags
  • Reservations

So we should wait until they get herded into the “showers?” At what point should we intervene? I propose that now is a good time.

RTFA. There are currently 90 known cases of US Citizens being held for this reason.

ETA:

Why? The adults who were infants when the fraud took place did not commit fraud. Why are they even being questioned or held?

Not even close. This administration is doing the worst they can get away with, intentionally, as they fucking said they would do.

“These aren’t people. These are animals.” - Donald J. Trump.

10 Likes

8 Likes
9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.