Trump immigration thugs can't deny kids water, food, toilets, or sleep: Federal Appeals Court

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/15/court-rules-that-trumps-ice.html

6 Likes

Who is going to monitor and make sure they actually do those things?

Clearly, they were already supposed to be doing them and were/are not.

15 Likes

A lot of ICE agents are gonna haz a sad tonight

You’re making a huge assumption that they care enough to follow the law. There’s many instances of them breaking existing laws and saying oopsie when caught. At this point i doubt this changes anything.

17 Likes

These are the kind of things that international human rights accords dictate must be afforded to convicted felons and prisoners of war. What kind of monstrous society have we become that our government is actually arguing against denying these things to children who haven’t even been accused of any wrongdoing?

34 Likes

Because Trump and his folk don’t see immigrants and their children as people.

20 Likes

I’m sure all the pro-life activists will be all overjoyed to hear this and make sure to check that the decision is properly implemented, right?

10 Likes

whatever attorney that represented the government in this matter should lose their license - you need to meet the good character standards.

5 Likes

All together now:

THE👏CRUELTY👏IS👏THE👏POINT.

17 Likes

The fact this is something our government would argue over should be one of the scariest things we read today. But then we have an ICE employee using his oversized black truck to run over peaceful protesters, so… I guess it’s Thursday. Looking forward to tomorrow.

16 Likes

zero enforcement, zero reprocusions, zero punishment, zero supervision, and if you reported someone doing it, you’d probably lose your job

if you think it being ordered not to do so is going to change it “surprise”

there were guards feeling-up little girls and NO-ONE reported them, it’s documented only afterwards by outside agencies and they likely still have their job - I mean think about you, you are searching a little child with nothing for what?

6 Likes

There is a horrifying self selection process at work here, Because anyone who has enough human empathy to entrust with the care of children would never want a job with ICE.

10 Likes

tumblr_4818eeb0cce81ad7a7bb1b3c9b49961c_730e9ba6_540

13 Likes
8 Likes

In this context, it’s also interesting that they pointed out that it has to be ‘edible food’

Like, sorry government, we know you considered feeding them WW2 leftover iron rations, and ground up, old gym mats, but COME. THE. FUCK. ON, That shit’s not gonna fly.

3 Likes

Yep. Who’s going to make tRump’s gestapo follow the law? It’s not like the police or national guard have authority over them.

Truth is, they’ll do as they please, then when they’re sued they’ll get off due to lack of standing because american citizens they hurt aren’t their official targets, and non citizens with standing don’t have a right to civil justice.

5 Likes

Great question!

From the article: "Last year, Gee [the U.S. District judge who issued an order in 2017 for the feds to provide “safe and sanitary” conditions for the detainees] appointed an independent monitor to examine the conditions at Customs and Border Protection detention facilities along the border in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas."

Given the fed’s continued nose-thumbing, I’d assume that the 9th Circuit would also appoint independent monitors. Me? I’d appoint several dozen monitors per detention facility with each monitor to be armed with video equipment and ready-to-use (if necessary) subpoenas.

2 Likes

The administration will refuse to do this and appeal to the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh will author a decision in favor of Trump saying, verbatim, “Suck it libs. Where’s my beer?”

2 Likes

Does that mean they can continue to withhold basic human necessities from adult prisoners?

So the US has camps where they keep people without enough food …

To be connected to America’s causes – liberty, equal justice, respect for the dignity of all people…
John McCain

Yeah … right.

At this point I’m thinking of this

1 Like

Wait! We’re suppose expect obedience to court rulings will now be a thing?
Really, an honest headline would be something like ‘Trump Administration Expected to Ignore Court Ruling that Requires…”