Watch Trump official say caged children don't need soap, toothbrushes, or beds to be "safe and sanitary" [UPDATED]

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/26/trump-official-says-caged-chil.html

8 Likes

If we don’t feed 'em what do they need toothbrushes for anyway?
Or teeth.

16 Likes

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

25 Likes

No living involved. After the presentation, they just put her back into storage and plug her in to recharge.

24 Likes

Do we have a list of basic needs one must provide their children before CPS gets involved? I am rather sure soap and toothbrushes would be on the list.

And I heard that two different journalist, one who was captured by Somali pirates, and one by the Taliban both gave them soap and toothbrushes.

18 Likes

I don’t want to know where they find people who can say this shit.

25 Likes

How can she live with herself?

Sociopaths are known to sleep like babies every night.

Meanwhile, President Biff, who’s probably never in his life bathed or brushed his teeth without prompting from his mommy or one of his wives or a military school teacher, is thinking “man, that’s the life!”

20 Likes

I wonder how this Trump official would do if forced by a judge’s order to live under the same conditions as those children for a period of time, say a week to a month. Call it “requiring her to do some research so she can testify to the suitability of those living conditions at a future hearing” or something.

21 Likes

Apparently “Safe” and “Sanitary” are too vague for those in charge of the ⊥rump concentration camps.

Q: Is it safe?
A: Well, there are no leopards in the cages with the kids, so yes.

Q: Is it sanitary?
A: There is running water available somewhere in the building where the cages are located, so yes.

23 Likes

The expression she makes mid argument when she realizes what she can’t say and has to think quickly… chilling.

15 Likes

How white are the kids, and how much money do their parents have? That’s what determines the level of care. F this.

9 Likes

So if members of this kleptocracy should find themselves in prison, they wouldn’t mind sharing a cold crowded cell with lights always on, no beds, no showers, soap, sink or toothbrushes?

15 Likes

Broadly speaking, this is pretty terrible, but lawyers don’t speak broadly. What this post leaves out is, predictably, context. First, the case isn’t a Trump-era one, it’s from Obama’s presidency, and before this lawyer was a “Trump Official” she was an “Obama Official.” Which is to say that the government needs lawyers who argue its side, just like any litigant in a country where the rule of law predominates.

Second, she’s not arguing that children shouldn’t be given soap and blankets. She’s arguing a narrow point about whether, when the Obama administration was sued in this case, it had violated a provision of the Flores Settlement which doesn’t specify those items as being required.

It’s critical that the US treats anyone it detains in a humane way, and, out of context, I can understand why this clip would enrage people. But that’s why it’s important to seek out the context.

6 Likes
22 Likes

Should have stopped there.

20 Likes

That’s really staggering video of the court proceedings… It paints such a clear picture about how ethics and the law often come down to the definitions of words themselves, and how this limitation can often create opportunities for motivated interpretations… Words themselves aren’t enough…

9 Likes

https://www.lightsforliberty.org

4 Likes
6 Likes

Very often, a business or organisation makes a very bad hiring choice and, for one reason or another, can’t just fire the person. So instead they put this incompetent or lazy or stupid screw-up on some godawful duty that no-one else wants and just hope for the best. I once heard such a person referred to as “the office goat”. It seems like Sarah Fabian may be the Justice Department’s “goat”.

7 Likes

Thank you for that link :+1:

1 Like