Watch Trump official say caged children don't need soap, toothbrushes, or beds to be "safe and sanitary" [UPDATED]

Clearly we are all just bleeding heart liberals. Thank god we have Nostradumbass and the GOP to own us and set the world straight. /s

6 Likes

Why? Two things can be true. A. What we’re doing to those children is terrible. B. Faked/uninformed outrage at a civil servant doing her job isn’t useful.

If conservatives can point to this and say, “Look, they care so little about the facts that they’re willing to smear this lawyer by leaving out all this context from their clickbait articles.” it serves them, not us. It’s helpful to the anti-immigration crowd, not us.

Pretty easily, apparently.

7 Likes

“DHS employees are advised to thoroughly wash their hands immediately after any contact with the caged children.”

16 Likes

I get your point, but I’m not talking about the anti-immigration crowd. I’m talking about the “I’m just following orders” concentration camp crowd. You don’t defend shit like this, even if it’s your job.

24 Likes

Wait, so this video was taped during the Obama presidency? If that’s true, I will correct the post.

6 Likes

The original case was against the Obama admin, and the admin lost. This video is from the Trump admin’s appeal.

17 Likes

Yeah, in her role and in the context of arguing on behalf of this regime, she bears more responsibility than the proverbial Death Star contractor:

19 Likes

Okay, now I have to go find my DVD of Clerks (or Netflix/Amazon it).

2 Likes

Was the original Obama-era case also about depriving kids of blankets, toothbrushes, sleep, and soap?

11 Likes

I can’t help but think that anyone acting as a spokesperson for this administration – be it this JD lawyer, or Sarah Sanders, or Kellyanne Conway – would be seen as ideal some for such roles in private industry and other areas of government. It’s as if (emphasis on “if”) they keep this up to reinforce their vitae and demonstrate their value as reliable schillers of shit and protectors of the powerful.

I tried to go one layer deeper, but that was my last free WP article…

4 Likes

When someone is informed that it’s their job to argue against providing children basic necessities like toothbrushes and soap then that’s when any person of conscience would question the morality of their job.

26 Likes

17 Likes

This is so sad and disgusting.

6 Likes

For context, a simple Google search for “Flores Settlement” will provide clarity. This is not a case of “Obama did it first!”. This is a case of the Trump administration doing everything it can to keep families and children in concentration camps - together or separate - to abuse and torment as they see fit. Rather than just letting them go with a promise to return when their refugee status is decided in court. Like what should be done. This is what Trump in his standard dehumanizing fashion calls “catch and release”.

24 Likes

More “Hail Mary” passes and goal-post moving attempts by Trump and stooges. They so wanna change America.

2 Likes

Slate has a decent breakdown of the differences between conditions under Obama and Trump.

Specifically on the Flores Settlement it seems like the Obama admin mostly argued that accompanied minors shouldn’t be subject to Flores, and sought to keep Flores limited to unaccompanied minors, and was focused on the time limits for how long they can be held (Flores was interpreted to limit it to 20 days). The Obama admin did also make moves to reduce family detentions. Trump is trying to dismantle the Flores protections altogether.

During the Obama administration’s attempts to deter asylum-seekers, a settlement that controls how children in detention are handled was expanded to cover both unaccompanied and accompanied children, against the Obama administration’s wishes. The Trump administration has sought to dismantle these protections, which are known as the “Flores Settlement,” including recently arguing in court that allowing children to sleep on cement floors without access to soap or toothbrushes is within the scope of the protections required by the settlement. Judges in that case on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the seemed dumbstruck by the government’s argument that since the Flores Settlement didn’t specifically list products like soap and toothbrushes, they needn’t be provided for the government to meet the standard that children be kept in “safe and sanitary” conditions.

Here’s the history of the Flores Settlement:

17 Likes

Every state has rules and regulations around how a daycare works.

Presumably, these facilities are being located on federal land or military locations in an effort to get around those regulations.

Otherwise, I would love to see some state attorney general head in with the local CPS and state police to enforce and fine based on those rules.

At a minimum it would put into question the federal governments ability to avoid state regulations.

3 Likes

I think that when Hilary said “deplorable” our conception of her meaning was far too narrow.

9 Likes