TSA employee to security theater skeptics: "You don't have shit for rights"

“Flying is not a right”

Well said. Neither is having a job with the TSA.

7 Likes

That’s whatI thought. And wouldn’t his friend already know where he works?
As it was obviously a public message, I see no reason to hold back the poster’s details.

4 Likes

“[You all want] for us to MAGICALLY 100% protect you”

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t.

Not that anyone asked me, because they didn’t.

This is one of the most galling things about the TSA: this self-important assumed attitude. No one asked for you guys, quit pretending otherwise.

21 Likes

It would also be one thing if they did actually do any protecting. As it is now their biggest busts are people realizing their gun made it through checkpoints and surrendering it voluntarily.

9 Likes

I didn’t realise that Colonel Jessop was now working for the TSA.

Makes sense, though - we need someone to preserve our ital vital fluids.

4 Likes

Silly, don’t bring missiles on the plane! They go on the outside!

5 Likes

The impression I get from reading this and other TSA comments is that everyone who works for the TSA fully knows that they are actively loathed by everyone in the airport every moment of their workday. That’s got to be rough, and for folks like this fellow, it sounds like they cope by convincing themselves that it’s OK if they’re hated… their SEEKRIT KNOWLEDGE means that what they’re doing is saving America.

14 Likes

I live here and I feel like an unwanted vistor.

8 Likes

I love water rockets, they’re a hoot. Have you seen the folks who make ultra-complex ones? Like, multi-stage jobs with telemetry & guidance systems and that.

5 Likes

What on earth are you powering with Lithium-Polonium batteries?

6 Likes

Given the incredible amount of fuel involved in putting up a plane, I wonder if the TSA is actually the US government’s single most effective carbon-reduction program

6 Likes

While no one asked specifically, you’d be a fool to think if something like another 9/11 incident happened then the general public wouldn’t go bananas over the fact the government didn’t “protect” them. Of course it’s been more than a decade since all that and at this point I think the TSA and other security measures could be streamlined and reduced quite a bit.

2 Likes

So basically like everyone that works for a major bank, internet/TV provider, or major cell phone carrier. No wonder antidepressants are in high use.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I regularly get excellent service from my bank and have been generally very pleased with my cell phone carrier’s service; my internet/TV is through Comcast, and they’re abysmal, but that’s because everyone there seems to have been trained with a Mad Libs book and a box of donuts. The hatred for them comes from their sheer incompetence. The general loathing towards the TSA is because of the very idea of the TSA. Americans resent having them there, resent having to shuffle around without shoes or a belt, resent having to throw away their Coke and jelly donut.

6 Likes

“…in Israel, people have been shot at ticket counters for perceived threats”

I suspect he’s misremembering an incident at LAX in 2002.

5 Likes

Politicians need to grow a pair. I think people would respond to a politician with a spine. Imagine if after the next terrorist attack instead of throwing themselves to the ground in terror, they stood tall, declared what happened a tragedy, and then defiantly declared that America isn’t going to fucking change just because a worthless criminal representing the forces of barbarism and stupidity managed to kill a few Americans. Imagine if a politician stated that tens of thousands of brave Americans died throwing themselves into the meat grinders of World War I and World War II so that we could live free and not cower before the forces of fascism and totalitarianism. State that the US will look at what reasonable lessons might be learned (like reinforcing cockpit doors and passengers beating the piss out of hijackers), but that the US will categorically not take a single step back on welcoming immigrants to the country, not give up a single freedom, and not bend a single inch in our liberty to pathetic attempts at inflicting terror. State that other countries might take such an attack an panic, surrendering their freedom for a little security, but damn it all, this is America and fuck that.

It is an easy sell. Appealing to American exceptionalism, liberty, and macho badassery wins you the right, sane policy in the face of pathetic and small threats wins you the left. It just requires a politician with a spine. Sadly, the US has only had spineless pieces of shit like Bush and Obama who can’t crawl on their knees fast enough in the face of pathetic and small threats.

It sickens me to think that the nation that sent hundreds of thousands of Americans youths to their death to face vastly scarier and more dangerous opponents could piss themselves so quickly in the face of an enemy that in their best year killed fewer Americans than the number of Americans that killed themselves and, that on average, kill fewer Americans than fucking bathtubs.

25 Likes

As someone who lives here, you’re not missing much, and it does get pretty sketchy here in a plethora of situations that would on their face seem to be harmless. Just my opinion!

1 Like

Murder.

2 Likes

Eh, some parts aren’t so bad, at least to visit. Ithaca, NY was a pretty rad place to live and Boston’s nice for a visit if you like history. Glad I live in Canada, though. Our country is a great deal less broken, even if we have some major problems of our own.

3 Likes

He seems nice.

2 Likes