TSA seize tiny, itsy-bitsy gun from sock-monkey

Why, back in my day, “disarming the one-eyed sock monkey” was just a euphemism.

3 Likes

I wonder what the monkey said that pissed her off so much.

The only thing that will stop a bad sock monkey with a gun is a good sock monkey with one of those scanner things, apparently.

Only sock monkeys will have guns, when guns are sock monkeyed.

1 Like

The problem is the TSA’s just-for-show policies, created by well-paid career bureaucrats, in response to the demands of even-better-paid career politicians, so that said politicians and bureaucrats have a career-insurance card to play in the event of another terrorist attack: “you can’t blame us, we were doing everything we could to keep you safe!”

The fact that the transparently moronic TSA policies are usually enforced by workers of a different (and lower) class than the typical air traveler is quite beside the point, and isn’t really a legitimate criticism.

I was responding to the idea of tar and feathering a TSA agent for making a gut call on the toy. Perhaps it’s bureaucracy, but I think you’re being overly optimistic here about the bar set for the agents. While I imagine most agents pass the bar of competency by a mile, a year of work in security or a GED is that bar, and I imagine those scraping by that bar are not to blame. It’s probably a good thing the TSA is able to provide jobs for these folk, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t treat them with kid gloves, because not all of them are going to have a strong grasp of the bureaucracy.

Gee - and all this time, I thought it was neoprene gloves…

1 Like

Well I’ll be. A monkey’s gun-cull.

2 Likes

I hope that there are laws preventing the confiscated sock monkey gun from getting melted down.

I had a dolphin-shaped plastic water pistol confiscated by airport security back in the '90s. We were just dropping someone off at the gate back when you could still do that and the dolphin was returned to me on the way back. They actually apologized for overreacting.

Only if it’s the electrolytes that plants crave.

1 Like

These people can’t be this stupid, can they?!? I’m thinking it’s a weekly contest with TSA guys…“Who can confiscate the most harmless object!”
"Last week Johns took some lady’s pillow! WooHoo!
It’s that or next thing you know, you must fly in TSA’s own paper gown, bringing your ID as your only carry-on, with no checked luggage allowed.

Perhaps the parents citizens were real fargin` iceholes… If I was doing that job, I would probably relieve the monotony by finding passive aggressive ways of dealing with such citizens.

Edit: re-read TFA, wasn’t taken from child was taken from the lady who makes them…

Rupert, our resident sock-monkey, is outraged and appalled. I’ve never seen him so mad.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.