Tsujigiri: a ghastly samurai practice

Whoops. You misread that, eating the feces of 999 wild dogs will cure your impotence.

I explained that to the fellow, but he had such near-religious faith in the Bushido code (as only a romanticizing American young man can have) that he couldn’t comprehend that the code was a social control mechanism, not a perfect mystical bond.

1 Like

I’m just here to agree with @Ryuthrowsstuff and @Mister44.

1 Like

you misspelled boredom

IIRC during that whole peaceful making up Bushido period they were mostly administrators and bureaucrats. Martial training and armaments or not. Long stretch of peace, minimal call for armored and mounted soldiers. Samurai was a hereditary social class not a trade. Hence all the philosophical hand wringing about how a true Samurai was supposed to act.

Right you’ve got the only routinely armed and trained dudes in your country/landmass hanging around in a format that doesn’t necessarily have any innate loyalty to anything but the particular members of the nobility who will pay their bills ATM.

In Japan they aren’t exactly thrilled to suddenly be accountants and police. In Europe they derive most of their income through the whole rape and pillage thing. Europe also added the Crusades and tournament system.

2 Likes

My sense is that this is sort of like “fragging” - as is to frag a bad officer - that while it happens, the concept is so powerful and perverse that the underlying idea is what gives the word the weight. The story gets retold all the time: I knew a guy who knew a guy! Whether it ever much actually happens is beside the point to having the idea out there.

3 Likes

Bah. Peasants have so little gold or XP that it’s not worth the trouble.

2 Likes

It sounds exactly like random murders in the US. I agree that making it out to be this whole big cultural thing is silly. Sometimes, a dude kills another dude for kicks. If he’s socially powerful and the victim isn’t, he can probably get away with it. It’s always happened in every culture.

Heh. “A post about Japan? That’s where kids poke each other in the butt sometimes! Hmmm, how can I work this fact naturally into the conversation…”

Heh. “A post about Japan? That’s where kids poke each other in the butt sometimes! Hmmm, how can I work this fact naturally into the conversation…”

You almost read my mind, but not quite.

It was more like this: “Heh. A post about randomly beheading people with a sword? That sounds an afwil lot like randomly poking your fingers up someone’s butt. Hmmm, how can I wok this fact naturally into the conversation…”

But now you mention it… Yeah, Japanese people really are pretty weird, randomly chopping off heads and poking butts with their fingers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.